Lunging Questions...

sandi_84

Visit site
Ok so had an experienced lady give me a quick tutorial on lunging the other day, she even let me have a go and I failed miserably ha ha! Her horse knew I hadn't a clue and decided to have a bit of fun instead :rolleyes::D
So today I had another shot at it with my sister's horse and it went pretty well overall, I seemed to have a decent amount of control as he listened well to my voice but I have a few questions....

1) I've only ever been shown lunging in a bridle, what do you prefer to lunge in, headcollar/cavesson or bridle and why?
2) My sister read somewhere that you shouldn't canter your horse on a lunge, why is that?
The only problem I felt I had today was getting the horse to bend as he seemed to be quite straight throughout his body so....
3) Can you explain how to get the horse moving with a slight bend on the cirlce?

be positive

Visit site
I lunge in whatever is needed at the time, depending on the horse.
I do canter on the lunge but they do need to be well balanced, it is very hard work so should be limited can be very useful for working on transitions.
The horse again needs to be well balanced and straight through its body before you can get a true bend, this will come in time but beware you dont just get them turning the head in or swinging the quarters out, I would prefer no bend to either of these.
I feel that most work is better done ridden unless there is a reason for lunging as it is constant turning and can be very stressful on their joints.

sandi_84

Visit site
Thanks be positive but can I get you to elaborate on a few things please? :eek:

I lunge in whatever is needed at the time, depending on the horse. Could you explain this a bit fuller for me please?

The horse again needs to be well balanced and straight through its body before you can get a true bend, this will come in time but beware you dont just get them turning the head in or swinging the quarters out, I would prefer no bend to either of these. Sorry, I'm being a bit thick here, how do you get them to bend properly though?

I feel that most work is better done ridden unless there is a reason for lunging as it is constant turning and can be very stressful on their joints.The reason I'm asking is because there has been a few horses lunged recently before coming back to work just to help get rid of extra fizz and also I've heard it can be quite helpful in balancing/ improving topline of young/green horses if done correctly so I'd like to get it all sorted out in my head so I really understand what i'm doing (as well as having people show me physically) before I lunge without supervision from someone experieced

Oh sorry, p.s I have only done short, gentle sessions and would never lunge for long periods of time :)

emma.is

Visit site
1) I've only ever been shown lunging in a bridle, what do you prefer to lunge in, headcollar/cavesson or bridle and why?
2) My sister read somewhere that you shouldn't canter your horse on a lunge, why is that?
The only problem I felt I had today was getting the horse to bend as he seemed to be quite straight throughout his body so....
3) Can you explain how to get the horse moving with a slight bend on the cirlce?

1) Bridle! Mainly because when I used to lunge in a headcoller the little devil 'locked' his head and neck and just kept going straight sometimes! He also KNOWS he's doing work when he has a bit in his mouth and his manners increase ten fold.

2) I canter on the lunge, but it is very stressful for their joints. A little won't hurt them.

3) um, not really. I make sure my boy is going forwards and is stretching his neck and he seems to bend all his body. Sorry I can't help with this one!

Spotsrock

Visit site
My boy naffs off to gate so bridle gives more control. Personal preference I dislike the action of cavason on front of nose. Head collar allows me to exercise b when limited turn out or just want to do something without working her and she relaxes into it better than in bridle.

The bending problem u had is why some people say no canter on lunge. Horse can tank round on wrong bend and achieve nothing. May also then fall over if surface poor. Additionally if circle is small it puts undue stress on joints cantering round and round esp if bend to tight or wrong.

To teach to bend on lunge I have always used saddle or roller with ride reins and adjusted accordingly. Mine bend nicely in head collar only as result. Others claim to dislike training aids such as side reins but I have never seen a horse backed and produced without any training aids at all that bends, works through from behind and carries self lovely. That is a whole different thread though and only my opinion. I like some aids if used correctly in right circumstances.

sandi_84

Visit site
The bending problem u had is why some people say no canter on lunge. Horse can tank round on wrong bend and achieve nothing. May also then fall over if surface poor. Additionally if circle is small it puts undue stress on joints cantering round and round esp if bend to tight or wrong.

After warming up a bit I was just keeping him at walk/short period of trot/walk/stand just to practice control with my voice and (leaving a coil and a half of lunge line in my "push hand" -as I like to call it :D- like I've been shown) as I am just learning I didn't want to keep him at it for long or push too hard incase I did something wrong, won't progress to canter till I have been given the go ahead by someone a lot more experienced but I was curious after hearing my sis say it was bad for them because I've seen loads of people canter thier horses on a lunge line

To teach to bend on lunge I have always used saddle or roller with ride reins and adjusted accordingly. Mine bend nicely in head collar only as result. Others claim to dislike training aids such as side reins but I have never seen a horse backed and produced without any training aids at all that bends, works through from behind and carries self lovely. That is a whole different thread though and only my opinion. I like some aids if used correctly in right circumstances.

My sister has side reins but I haven't touched them because I don't want to use something I have no idea how to use and again don't want to do anything wrong.

sprite1978
Its harder to get the hang of, but I find lunging with 2 reins (long reigning on a circle) best for getting bend.
Aren't long reins slightly more advanced than a lunge line?

You might be able to tell but I'm just terrified of getting it wrong and hurting/ causing problems for the horse :eek:

sprite1978

Visit site
They are more advanced, in as much as you need to be mindful of both your hands, and its difficult to get the hang of managing the lines. You might find yourself tied in a knot!

sandi_84

Visit site
They are more advanced, in as much as you need to be mindful of both your hands, and its difficult to get the hang of managing the lines. You might find yourself tied in a knot!

Yes I had heard you have to be really carefull and mindful of where you put your feet so you don't trip... not good for clumsy me! :p

So is it just a case of practice till I get better at it and know what I'm looking for then?

be positive

Visit site

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
mine w/t/c on the lunge to voice command, they also collect, and work further on voice command. depends on the definition of working/lunging! yes i have some that go round in trot and canter at the end of a lunge line but they dont "work"!

millikins

Visit site
I find working on the ground very rewarding, I booked some lessons with an expert, (Pony Club D.C. though I didn't know at the time) after my pony just turned in and stared at me! :eek:

sandi_84

Visit site
A couple of videos that may help, the first is fairly clear but her technique at times is not great, the rein is rather long and gets very close to the ground.

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-lunge-a-schooled-horse

This is a bit short but shows a better way of getting a horse going well, you can see that it is at times bending to the inside and working forward in a good rhythm.

www.horsemart.co.uk/video/horsemart_how_to_lunge_a_horse_with_side_reins/1044

Thank you, that's been very useful I see what you mean about the lunge line being to close to the ground tho. The second video didn't seem to work for me.