Lunging....what do you use?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I lunge with a bridle, I do have a cavesson but never use it *note to self - put on eBay :)*

I also have a Pessoa, which I usually use as well.

noodle_

Visit site
ditto slinky...

if shes pissing me off then roller and sides (on bridle)

if im in a nice mood (meaning i cba...) then headcollar and lunge whip and stand in the middle and shout :D

seoirse

Visit site
I just lunge off a headcollar but only cos my horse is a dude on the lunge, last horse thought it was time set aside specifically for bucking and farting about so he'd have bridle, roller and sides or it was pointless. So, in answer to your question - depends. :D

Hippona

Visit site
Good points.

I used to use a lunging cavesson...on all 3.....but cannot find it. Had varying results.....

Highland and cob- fine.

Arab.Well. Totally random display of airs above ground interspersed with 'wall-of-death'. Possibly bridle would be a good option....:eek:

CatStew

Visit site
It depends on the reason why I'm lunging.

If it's just to get the tickle out of their toes before riding, I'll either lunge off the cavesson with no gadgets and then tack up, or tack up and then lunge off the bridle.

If I'm lunging and not riding after, I'll lunge off the bridle and use either side reins or a bungee. I'm going to invest in a Pessoa in the near future too though.

If I'm lunging over jumps I'll lunge off the cavesson without any gadgets.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Lunge cavesson. Will have a bridle under to attach side reins to. Lunge daughters with headcollar, adjusted so it doesn't slip as no cavesson the right size without spending a fortune. Use a chambon for reschooling but not needed on mine at mo, tho big one does occasionally as she seems to enjoy it. Have in the past lunged from bit rings if somethings trying to sock my arm off, but more as a temporary correction than a regular method.

monkeybum13

Visit site
I don't like lunging with a bridle so a cavesson for me.

I sometimes use the 'draw rein method' to get her working long and low but she's now learnt what to do and tends to work long and low without needing the reins.

Enfys

Visit site
Obviously 2 things are vital.....horse and lunge-line....but what else do you use?

Bridle? Lunging Cavesson? Headcollar?

Just out of interest.....

A roundpen :)

No lunge whip, cavesson or bridle, just a lungeline in my hand.

Unless I am working with two reins and then the horse has a roller or saddle on.

mulledwhine

Visit site
Old boy, bridle and lunge cavesson, current pony just a head collar although he had got fitter so may start using a bridle with lunge line threaded over the top of his head, he now seems to think lunging means, I need to go as fast ax I can :D

milesjess

Visit site
Depends on horse...

Used to use bridle, lunge line, draw reins when my ish was in work.

Use cavesson, lunge line at mo on new boy as he's sensitive in the mouth.

rhino

Visit site
Depends what it is for. Assessing/checking on movement headcollar/cavesson/bridle depending on horse, mine is fine in just a headcollar.

Single rein set (cavesson, outside side rein, lunge rein) for encouraging forward work and to relax the poll.

Two rein lungeing for most in hand/groundwork/lateral schooling, and for general lungeing for fitness.

Portugese military set on the more highly schooled, 'buzzy' ones (prefer not to use as I lack experience)

Also have a pessoa for rehabilitation work under certain circumstances :)

PolarSkye

Visit site
Bridle, lunging roller and either two lunge lines, side reins or pessoa - depending on what I'm trying to achieve.

P

Paris1

Visit site
Bridle and roller and side reins. Went through a stage of pessoa, but it did its job and now back to side reins. Oh and gloves are vital.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqNw-iafSWM.

3 things come to mind about lunging , and what I use has a big impact on:

what horse I am lunging.
Why I am lunging
what I am hoping to achieve

I have many combinations that I use.

These include:

lunge line
cavesson
Lunging roller
Pessoa
side reins
whip
head piece
bit
cheek_pieces

I lunge once a week without fail unless something comes up and I can't. However I do like to use the round pen too on occasions and free school in there .

Last edited:

Paris1

Visit site
I'm my opinion if you 'lunge' in a headcollar and no whip, its not really lunging. But that just my opinion.