Lunging with or without side reins??

_jetset_

Visit site
I have just taken on a 5 year old 17hh WBxTB mare (chestnut, eek!)

She was backed last year and then turned away for 12 months due to owners lack of facilities. She works well on the lunge, but does have her head in the air a lot and therefore is not working the correct muscles. When I got on her last night (see bronking pony post) she had moments where she was in a long and low outline, but found it hard to stay like that.

There are various opinions on side reins where I keep my two girlies, and I have never before used them myself as I worked on Hannah without them (she also used to have her head in the air) but Hannah could already keep herself in an outline when ridden - only just but it was there to work with.

Grace has built up some muscle under her neck
frown.gif
and I do not want this to continue being built up my her working with her head in the air.

So, would you recommend lunging her in side reins, and if so can you attach these to a saddle as I do not own a roller and would like to continue using the saddle with the stirrups down to keep her used to it.

Thanks,

Rebecca

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yes, I would use side reins. They only have to be tight enough to encourage her at this stage to work in to the contact, and certainly shouldn't be used to strap her head down.

I always put them on the saddle - and never use a roller.

samp

Visit site
I would use side reins, or a chambon, you want to encourage her to work correctly on the lunge otherwise it is a waste of time and teaching the horse incorrectly if they are not suing the correct muscles

_jetset_

Visit site
Great thanks... I just want her to accept the contact and would never dream of trying to fasten her head down because I have seen so many problems as a result of this. This is part of the reason I have stayed away from them with Hannah.

Sorry if I am being a bit blonde, but you attach them to the girth, and then to the girth strap, is that right?

flyingfeet

Visit site
I would NEVER use side reins - why would you want to get your horse use to a dead pull on the mouth and teach them that stretching down is forbidden??

Chambon, De gogue, Pessoa anything but a flat pull from the wrong direction that also generally is set up so they cannot bend properly.

Sorry guys but I loathe these things! Only one purpose for them - vaulting, stops horse from putting head up or down.

Soph83

Visit site
<span style="color:purple"> It all depends on the horse whether you use them or not. I have two mares and one needs to be lunged in side reins once or twice a week and the other I never lunge in side reins.
If you're horse is fighting the contact when being ridden then I would definitely suggest you use them. Keep them loose at first and gradually shortern them as the muscles develop. Really drive her fowards into the contact.

Yes you attach the side reins to the girth straps of the saddle.
With my youngster I have also got on whilst she is being lunged by my instructor and picked up the contact from the side reins onto my reins (side reins going baggy). Then after a few minutes of this we take her off the lunge and take off the side reins and it's actually worked very well in keeping the contact when being ridden normally. </span>

_jetset_

Visit site
Oh bugger... promise I will take the camera tonight but you have to promise not to laugh at her as her mane is down to her shoulder and her coat is really fluffy. Although I have to admit after being with me for only 2 days she is already looking better after a few brushes. Might even pull her mane tonight but it is quite thing so will probably cut it first then pull it.

Is this the best thing to do with a long mane?

burtie

Visit site
When I do lunge my 3 year old (about 3 times a week for 15 mins) I always use side reins, start as you mean to go on. They are set so that when he stands normally they are just tight (i.e not loose and flapping). In walk they create a slight contact until he rounds even a bit then they are effectively loose, but there is always a little weight on the rein from the the fact they are there!

In trot they don't really do anything, except create a tiny bit of weight and stop him actually going round with his head right in the air. They really encourage self carriage and although do have a bit of elastic in them, in reality the contact is so light it may as well not be there. I personally would not use something very elastic on a youngster a I beleive it encourages leaning, but each to their own!

_jetset_

Visit site
Thnks burtie... I have read that using side reins with elastic can cause them to lean. Would you suggest just leather/nylon ones without the elastic then?

burtie

Visit site
Mine are nylon and have a small bit of elastic with the nylon loose behind so they have about 2 inches of give in them, which I think is happy medium to work with. After all you'd hope your hands would have a bit of give too! It's tough to work out what is best but I'm happy with them. Don't see the point of the rubber ring ones (have you ever tried stretching them!!). But am always a little worried about completely fixed reins, just in case of loss of balance. Also when you are working with them rather loose an inch or so of give means the contact is not suddnely all/nothing. But they can't lean on them because the give runs out after 2 inches.

Does that make sense?

Soph83

Visit site
<span style="color:purple"> Mine have a small bit of elastic, she has tried leaning on them but driving her fowards seems to help this and I've not found that she leans on my hands. </span>

madlady

Visit site
I'd go with a chambon over side reins allways. Side reins are very fixed and allways have a contact with the bit whereas a chambon encourages long and low by releasing contact when they lower head. Only my preference but I don't like side reins at all

GTs

Visit site
I personally think you are trying to do too much too soon - she has not settled in, you have lunged her once, under saddle you do not know if she coming or going, and you want to push on before you have those sorted?

ginniebee

Visit site
Personally, id lunge in a harbridge, its much more forgiving than side reins and you can progress to riding with it as well. Just a thought but if shes chucking her head up and bronking have you had her back checked?