Lunging woes (HELP!)

wattamus

Visit site
So Madam has got into the habit (over winter) of going round two or three times on the lunge then sticking her head up or down (depends on the mood) and tanking off across the school, so either I get dragged or have to let go (and in the end I had to just let go)
Obviously when she was doing this I wasn't well/ strong enough to fix it so now she has it in her head that's this is what she does to get out of it.
Does anyone have any ideas of how I can fix it? I don't have a round pen and the school is 40x40.
I want to get it sorted as I want to use a pessoa on her and also have my husband lunge her when I'm not around.
Also (if it matters) if she sees a lunge whip she bombs to the other end of the school even faster! So I've never used one.
Any ideas?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I know I always ask this question, but does she need lunging? What is the aim?
it's a good point, but regardless of the answer the horse needs to learn not to just pull away, that is rude and dangerous and should she ever need a lameness work up it's a pita if the horse doesn't know how to lunge.

to the OP, what equipment are you currently using? do you lunge off the bridle, or a cavesson? are you using a roller, side reins etc ? this is all relevant.

as a starter for 10, if she's just a tank and not frightened then I would lunge directly off the bridle at least for a while, with some basic kit on to help you keep her focussed and facing the right way, start with baby steps and not let the lunge rein get too long to begin with so she can't get away from you. Starting in walk, you can walk a biggish circle so that she isn't turning too tightly, but aim to have her only a few feet away to start with, listening and under control before even thinking about going faster or onto a bigger circle. this can easily become a habit so she needs to learn a different way.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my old mare would be nutty on the lunge if i didnt put all the gear on. i used to lunge with saddle,bridle, and side reins, i clipped the lungeline on to the outside bit ring and took it over her head and through the inner bit ring to have more control and did only walking to start and had the side reins the right length and then shortened the side reins and trotted. i only did walk and trot on the lunge so she stayed quiet and relaxed. i did lots and lots of transitions as well...the reason i lunged was my hips were really painful so i lunged for 15 mins then rode for 15 mins or longer if i could stand the pain...

milliepops

Visit site
I don't lunge any of mine very often but I definitely find it useful to teach them how to do it well, to install voice aids, to be able to watch them moving, to give them work days without carrying a rider etc. I think it can be tempting to just whack them out onto a big circle and let them self exercise but it's definitely safer and more productive to view it as something they have to learn systematically like any other training.

SEL

Visit site
I started lunging in a bridle after mine tried to tank when there was someone else in the school. Now she's off ridden work and having to do groundwork I'm glad I put the effort in to teach her some manners.

Often I'll pop the cavesson under the bridle - there's something about the bridle which now means "work".

She tends to p off towards the exit so if she's in a really silly mood I lunge down that end.

wattamus

Visit site
I've tried in a lunge cavesson and a snaffle bridle with the line over the head and she still is the same.
I want to lunge as it varies the work a bit and it (occasionally) takes less time than riding.
Also I'm still working on my fitness and she's still quite overweight, so she could probably do with being in more work than I'm capable of. (I can't really afford to pay someone to ride her as I'm still on sick from work and there's nobody is trust to ride her for free)
Thanks for comments so far :)

milliepops

Visit site
Do you use anything else as well as the bridle, such as side reins? They really do assist with keeping the horse on the job though there's a bit of an art to getting them at the perfect length for exercise.

I like to lunge mine on 2 reins for control and steering ability but if theres even a chance that she will pull away you can find yourself in double trouble.

If you still struggle with her when she's fully tacked up then I would recommend getting a trainer in to help you. Firstly so that she doesn't succeed in pulling away (this will be partly about simply not putting her in a position where she can use her strength and partly about being quick and effective in the handlers reactions to stop her if she tries it) and secondly so she learns a bit more about what it's all supposed to be about.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if you are only using a bridle and nothing else she is not really working if she is rushing around. i would take it very slowly and only walk her on the lunge to start with and get her obedient to your voice...has anyone else ever lunged her and does she do the same,

rara007

Visit site
Something for someone with experience of the technique to try first but lunging with two reins should snap her out of it. Do you have an instructor you could ask to help you to see if there’s anything technique wise you could improve on?
I’m pro lunging I’m afraid. It’s a PITA trying to decide if they’re moving ok alone if they don’t lunge.

Shay

Visit site
If you are at the stage where you have to let go if she tanks I wouldn't try two lines on your own simply for safety - although the answer to do so is the right one. It does sound like you would benefit from an instructor. Lunging is actually quite an art and everyone benefits from being taught to do it well.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I'm pro lunging as well but I would always ask if they are bogging off, are they finding it too hard? ie might there be a reason-either they've been lunged badly in the past/dont really understand what is being asked of them or are they finding that circle difficult because of one-sidedness/stiffness or even lameness. And I've had several ponies now who have fit criteria of not being lunged properly before and finding it difficult becases its uncomfortable, all have tried bogging off-and they've all come right. Ponies in particular seem to have this part of their education missing or rushed and its a shame, lunging well can be of benefit and a useful tool.

Back to basics in hand, back to lunging basics as millimops describes but get some experienced help, if she's been doing it regularly its a harder habit to overcome.