Lying down alllll the time.....

KatB

Visit site
This is what my boy is doing!! apparently he spends most of the day asleep, he seems fine in himself, comes cantering up to me in the evening, but just a bit concerned that lying down all the time isn't normal??! Does anyone elses horse do this? Do you think he's just being a typical 4/5yr old??!! Hes only working 2-3 times a week now, so only in light work....

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Nearly all the horses at our yard spend a significant part of the day flat on their sides!! Not just now that it's getting warmer. I find PF lying down alot more than I used to aswell. I think they're all just sooooo relaxed
smile.gif

ernikins

Visit site
My horse is 5 and he LOVES his sleep - he actually lays flat out and snores - when he was living out at night and coming in during the day he would have brekkie eat some hay and then within the hour he would be snoring!! He has always slept a lot lying down - I hope there is no problem with it - he seems fine - just likes his bed!! I wouldn't worry too much.

TGM

Visit site
Youngsters seem to lie down and nap a lot more than other horses - my girl used to have her daily nap in the field about 10am every day! But she is now 7 and has grown out of the habit - can't remember when I last saw her sleeping!

GTs

Visit site
Seabiscuit was known to spend most of the day lying on his side asleep -

Seabiscuit4.jpg

I would not be concerned if he seems fine in all other aspects!

Twinkle Twinkle

Visit site
My 5 yo loves his sleep when he was in during the day l used to have a job getting him up when l wanted to ride, so l ended up having to change him around so he could sleep at night.
laugh.gif

KatB

Visit site
I can understand it in a nice warm stable, but he was out all day in the ping rain and was just sleeping apparently!! Lol!! Bless him....

S_N

Visit site
Just out of curiosity, does he lie down in the stable? Topper only lay down a handful of times in the stable in the year I had him, though he would happily come in plastered with mud, with a HUGE grin on his face - git!
grin.gif
He would also spend HOURS snoring in the field!! My sister once thought he was dead, as he was lying flat out, motionless and it was RAINING!!!! Such a nutter!! Bless him....

4whitesocks

Visit site
My 5yo is a big fan of his 40 winks...anywhere any time but most often in the stable as opposed to when he's turned out - grass wins over sleep apparently!!

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Spongebob also loves to lie down asleep in the pi55ing down rain! The mare can bu##er off where she likes, he aint moving!
I like to see horses lying down, means they are relaxed. Even better I love to see them rolling in the stable, I think it must mean their muscles are feeling good.

KatB

Visit site
Cool, thanks for the reassurance people! He lies down in the mud, in the stable, anywhere he can really!! I was leading him out one day in Glos, walking through a field to get to his,felt the leadrope go slack and found he had lay down!! gone on strike! Decided that area was a def rolling spot....
blush.gif
blush.gif
Lazy bugger! Think its just because he's so laid back....
smile.gif

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Even better I love to see them rolling in the stable, I think it must mean their muscles are feeling good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or their tummy hurts
frown.gif