m&m working hunter - help please !!

whiteflower

Visit site
we have just brought my son a connemara having outgrown his first pony. he is interested in doing the m&m workers which we are really pleased about, he did normal workers on his dinky 13hh pony but we have never done the m&m before and dont want to look silly !!

we are intending on competing at county level for a few shows at the end of this season as an introduction.

do we put the pony in a grackle and breast plate as we have done with our other pony or should this be different for m&m ? we have watched one m&m class and some had just the plain flat noseband and no martingale/breastplate - is this the norm ??

i take it we can still use boots for the jumping phase ???

is there anything specifically the judge will be looking for that different to straight pony workers ??

any other information you can think of that we should know would be very much apprieciated as my sons really excited and im not sure where to start !!

many thanks

mrogers

Visit site
Hi,

M&M workers follow excatley the same rules and format as the normal workers so its all the same. The only difference is that you will be awarded marks for breed type aswell. Have a google of M&M workers at shows like RIHS, Royal Welsh etc for turn out examples

BYR

Visit site
same as pony workers, the judge will be looking for the pony to match its breed criteria as well as the usual confo and manners.

If the pony doesnt need a grackle , dont put it in one. A plain flat noseband will present a much nicer picture. But a grackle isnt against the rules, it just doesnt look as nice IMO :)

Breastplate / martingale is allowed as are boots

Good luck connies are lovely :)

Javabb94

Visit site
Plain nosebands loom better for m and m IMO :)

The judges look for a steady bold jumping round and often have a longer canter incorporated into the course to see how the pony moves

Yes you can wear boots for jumping but not for the show

Good luck! :D

whiteflower

Visit site
thank you all so much !!!!

we are both looking forward to it and im especially looking forwards to not having to plait !

he normally does a trot and then canter figure of 8 for individual show and then a gallop. is this ok or in m&m is there anything they prefer to see done differently ??

MissSBird

Visit site
M&M, in every way, is exactly the same as pony workers with what you do. The only differences are that the heights tend to be a little smaller and you don't need to plait.

If your son is over 16, he can also wear long boots despite the fact his ride is a pony.

As with pony workers, you can wear whatever tack you require to compete in (with the exception of a bitless bridle). But, the simplest the better. If you can go in a plain cavesson and snaffle without a martingale, then go for it.

The only difference could be that the judge technically can choose to ride large breed m&ms. I have NEVER seen a judge choose to do this and it would come as a surprise to everyone in the class I imagine. It is something to remember, however, when he's schooling the pony :)

Good luck!