Mad TB still mad :(..suggestions??

Dot1

Visit site
I posted a few weeks ago about my 6 yr old tb who was a nightmare to lunge, haven't tried the lunging again (lost my bottle!). As he is a nightmare in hand worse than he was a couple of weeks ago, rearing seems to be a default when he is being naughty, nervous or excited. I desperately need some real help, as I am out of my depth here and he has scared me enough not to want to do anything with him! I did get on him on Sunday whilst being led and he did absolutely nothing wrong however, he felt like a coiled spring and I didn't trust him enough to come off the line.

Was thinking of look to using Jason Webb or similar? Can anyone recommend anyone? I am in Kent. Micheal Peace? PM if that is easier.

Thanks..

palomino698

Visit site
A behaviourist will not change the basic nature of a TB. Add to this the fact that your horse is young, bored after a long lay off, fragile after major surgery. Perhaps you really need a suitably experienced rider to take him back into ridden work - but this will cost you, and will he really be the right horse for you at the end of it? Only you know what he is worth to you, but I'd cut my losses and rehome him. It's meant to be fun, and it will never be fun with a horse that scares you.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
A behaviourist will not change the basic nature of a TB. Add to this the fact that your horse is young, bored after a long lay off, fragile after major surgery. Perhaps you really need a suitably experienced rider to take him back into ridden work - but this will cost you, and will he really be the right horse for you at the end of it? Only you know what he is worth to you, but I'd cut my losses and rehome him. It's meant to be fun, and it will never be fun with a horse that scares you

[/ QUOTE ]
Such wise words, ditto that!

misst

Visit site
Ditto all of that as well.
My daughter has a big TB who is an angel in the stable and I adore him but he can be very difficult to handle especially after any box rest. She manages him beautifully but if I try he knows he can scare me outdoors leading him so he "performs" on cue every time. I don't handle him in an open space anymore - it is too dangerous for me and him.
I would be very careful and get someone very confident and calm to handle him for you. He needs a home where he can be happy and not a danger to himself or anyone else.

Dot1

Visit site
palomino and JoBo completely agree, if rehoming was an option I would be looking down that route. I already have a demanding mare and really don't want a second difficult horse. However, when the vet opened him up he found that his bowels are not attached to anything. The surgeon did ask us if we wanted to continue with the op, and we said yes, he did say that in his opinion the 'free floating' bowels had caused the colic. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to take on a horse who potentially could colic again and it would probably be fatal. He needs extremely careful management, with so many horses up for rehoming, he is not a fantastic option for anyone! I also am not sure we have really exhausted all the options first.

An experienced rider would be an option and we would potentially pay for a suitable professional even if it is just to make him more attractive to loan out if he proves unsuitable. But I don't know anyone? If there are any suggestions for local Kent riders then I would be grateful to hear.

Also my partner learnt to ride on him with no issues at all from scratch and a 12 yr old hacked him out and we took him to shows, so I am not sure this is simply the nature of a tb?!

Tnavas

Visit site
I don't know the history about his injury and wether you have him stabled or out.

If stabled feed only meadow hay - ad lib. At feeding time give him a bucket of chaff with some equine balancer in it.

If at grass then the spring grass may be affecting him. Twice daily give him a small feed with one level tablespoon of Epsom Salts in it. When grass grows fast it doesn't absorb enough magnesium, magnesium deficiency makes the horse ultra sensitive and silly. For the best effect it is important to give twice daily as the magnesium is processed quite rapidly.

Booboos

Visit site
Unfortunately most horses go bonkers coming back into work after box rest but he may well be his normal self after a couple of months, so hang in there!

If you can afford a professional to deal with this, it might be the best option and the horse won't associate you with misbehaving.

Otherwise I would turn him out 24/7 and sedate him before handling/lunging until he calms down. That way he will have some good, calm experiences to rely on rather than getting himself wound up and thinking he can get away with it.

Good luck!!!

Dot1

Visit site
Tnavas, I think I will try the Epsom salts, as he is at grass (on lots of nice green spring grass!).

Thank you for all the luck, am hanging (lucky not literally yet!) in there..

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Kelly Marks is doing a masterclass, May 30th Saturday – Plumpton College, Nr Lewes, East Sussex BN7 3AE, and is looking for horses to work with on that day. I think yours sounds a suitable case, you could contact her through the IHDG website, it would be free to take him along.

Cyberchick

Visit site
Tnavas, I think I will try the Epsom salts, as he is at grass (on lots of nice green spring grass!).

This says a lot to me, a TB that has been out of work on lush green grass that at the moment will have a lot of sugar levels in it, I would put money on this having some effect.
What is he being fed on? How often are you trying to do something with him and at what times of the day?

Dot1

Visit site
Cyberchick, he is on 1 scoop Alfa Lite and a half scoop fibre cubes, breakfast and dinner. Goes out at 9 and in at 2 (was all day but we are limiting spring grass). We dont do much with him during the week, basically with work it is impossible. One of us gets down every day but often late to groom/check etc them both.

Damnation

Visit site
Having a TB that was the same as yours this time last year. All I can say is hang on in there! For handling him do you have a pressure halter? He needs to learn to respect you more on the ground, you need to be confident. If he senses you are the least bit nervous or scared he will play on it.
Also what is his routine? Does he have a set routine? TB's thrive off routine and I find them alot calmer once they are in one.
As for ridden and lunging work, have you ever long reined him? I find you have more control and you can get them to work alot more effectively. Do a couple of weeks of this and then try to ride him? Sounds like he needs to have the edge taken off him some how? I don't know what you can do exercise wise with regards to his injury but how about freeschooling him and letting burn off some energy before getting on him? I know when my mare gets all pent up I stick her on the lunge and let her get it out of her system. I then hop on and find her alot easier to deal with plus she is usually nackered by this stage! Oh and put a neckstrap on!!!
Izzi
laugh.gif

Cyberchick

Visit site
It might be difficult with his injury, I dont really know the facts but I would think he needs more regular work. My horse would be a complete nightmare just doing little bits at the weekend. Can you find someone to help you with this? I agree that on the ground you (or someone helping) might need to be a bit 'harder' and say enough is enough and you do not behave like this. Easier said than done, I know, but they do need to be reminded now and again.

tasel

Visit site
I can understand you very well... my youngster was a big terror just a few months ago - scared the hell out of the people who were supposed to back her (she has been to two training yards in two different countries and none of them succeeded!!!).

So, now have to do everything by myself training her up which is very unexpected! I used to have to lunge a bucking bronco that could face one way but twist her body whilst bucking so that her hind feet were just a metre in front of your face! You just have to remain calm through that period and persist. Also, I changed the feed I give my horse, and it made a big difference - touch wood. I changed her feed - I echo all the others who suggested a magnesium supplement. What are you feeding your horse? Don't feed Top Spec / Blue Chip, etc. for a while. Stick to forage based feed.

swellhillcottage

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Thank you for all the luck, am hanging (lucky not literally yet!) in there..

[/ QUOTE ]

FFS you have a 6 year old TB apparently just off box rest on very little work which you are still feeding and you are on lots of spring grass and you expect it to be a plod ..... -
for goodness sake give it a chance ...............

Firstly if it does carry condition stop bloomin feedin it hard grub for a little while secondly if you lunge it tie its head down ie side reins and dont give it a long lunge rein until it understands what you want and thirdly can you not get a quiet friend to go on a hack with you to get you started

Edited to say you are better off keeping him out 24/7 even on spring grass than keeping him stabled 15 hours and feeding him .

Sharonxx
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Dot1

Visit site
Sharon, I am not sure FFS, is particulary helpful!

He isn't just off box rest (I am not sure where I wrote that?) he has been turned out for 3 months now. Also where did I write I was expecting a plod? What I didn't expect was a horse that for 6 months had been easy, yes he had had typical tb moments but I don't know anyone with a tb who has said rearing in hand daily is normal? My mare rears and strikes out, but she does it when she is in a new environment or if she has been in for a while, tb is rearing quite literally for any reason, its like a default, he thinks what shall I do, I know I'll rear. Is that normal? OK so he isn't in much work but surely by getting professional help this is the sensible thing? Rather than try to manage a problem that I am not experienced in and neither is the yard?

Halfpass

Visit site
Our lad went to Jason Webb for re backing and bringing back into ridden work. My young mare also went to him for starting and handling work as her bevhiour on the ground made me nervous. Both horses came back after 4 weeks 100% better. He really did work wonders on them both and I would definatly think about speaking to him aboout your TB. He is very helpful and even if you decide not to send the horse to him he may be able to give you some tips.