Made to Measure Saddles? Is it worth the risk?

jm2k

Visit site
Im having a mare to find a decent saddle to fit my horse, so looking at the made to measure market so i can get it tweaked to what we need without a ridiculous budget busting price.

My biggest concerns are:
It not fitting when it arrives,
Not being suitable when it is being ridden in,
Follow up adjustment and service (will be looking for one made in a more local area to avoid that),

Has anyone had one M2M and what good and bad issues did you have?

I know the resale value would drop much lower than a brand such as Ideal or Albion, but dont plan on selling it once its fitted for the pony it will stay with him for life (hopefully!) so thats not an issue.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I think it totally depends on who makes it!

I had a m2m to my specification saddle made last year for my Welsh D mare. I loved it. She died unexpectedly 2 weeks after it arrived.

My other horses (bought since she died), a Welsh D and a Cob, both wear the saddle and it fits them as if it was made for them. I got it made to fit me, rather than because the first horse was an odd shape, if that makes sense.

spacefaer

Visit site
Woman I used to ride for had a made to measure for her hard-to-fit warmblood eventer. Local guy - Walsall trained - decades of experience. - who really knows what he's talking about.

The style of the saddle was discussed, total choice of leather, knee rolls, size, design - she went for a fitting at his workshop, he came out to the yard to measure up, then to fit the saddle, then again after a period of time (can't remember exactly how long) to finalise the fit. He's been on call to alter/adjust as required ever since.

Saddle is fab - I loved riding xc in it - the owner hunts in it and the horse has put on more muscle over her back than she's ever had - and she's in her late teens, so she must be comfortable in the saddle.

Couldn't fault the saddle or service.

I knew someone who had one mtm by a very well known mass market saddle manufacturer and it was so badly done that she ended up going to court over it.

Louby

Visit site
Ive had 3 made to measure saddles over the years, first was spot on but the more recent other 2 were a disaster and no way near fit!! No money changed hands so apart from time, nothing thankfully was lost.

honetpot

Visit site
I had one man make one for me many years ago, when I didn't know what I know now. Lovely man, I think he still working today, made in the workshop at the back of his house, I just told him the width, colour and type I wanted, he never went anywhere near the horse and I was lucky it fit.
If you have something made to measure you seem to have very little rights in consumer law, and animal can change shape so quickly in the time it takes to have it made its the saddlers word against yours that it would fit the horse it was measured for and it hasn't changed shape. Also it the depreciation on them, virtually as soon as you received it it's value is only 35% of what you paid for it.
My 'made to measure saddle' cost £180, I rode 5 days a week and fortunately it fitted the two horses I owned over 15 years, I sold it for £110.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I never recommend M2M as a preferred optoin except in exceptional circumstances. You have much less protection in law, are reliant on customer services for any refunds etc, and they have no better record of being a good fit. There is also anecdotal evidence that they somehow have a less versatile, and changeable, fit.

I think it totally depends on who makes it!

I had a m2m to my specification saddle made last year for my Welsh D mare. I loved it. She died unexpectedly 2 weeks after it arrived.

My other horses (bought since she died), a Welsh D and a Cob, both wear the saddle and it fits them as if it was made for them. I got it made to fit me, rather than because the first horse was an odd shape, if that makes sense.

Hi FW, your saddle was in fact just a new flap which is now incorporated into our main range, as it was such a nice design. So it's now very much a standard saddle :). It was a tree that was known, a panel that was basically already designed as we have a GP saddle on the same tree, so it was only whether the flap suited the rider. So slightly different to true M2M. But so glad you love it, that it has worked for all your horses, and that you rave about it so often :D

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Friend has had a M2M from Pony Cob and Horse saddles

http://www.ponycobandhorsesaddles.com/ she loves it!

She had a well-known showing saddle and horse outgrew it so she got another well-known showing saddle and in the space of a month the deterioration on the back muscle was incredible!

She found these guys through word of mouth, I think its was £1050 for the saddle and the saddle fitter and his daughter (who i think is a vet) comes out tries a range of different saddle, literally spends all day with you and then goes away to make you one, then comes back makes sure everything is fine, and will come out again after 3 month then again and again until everything is perfect.

I’m currently saving up for one :)

abercrombie&titch

Visit site
I have made to measure saddles every time - yes, they are a bit more expensive to buy but i think they save you money over their lifetime - never had any back issues for ponies. My saddler fitter as Carrots&Mints describes, makes you sit in a huge range of different saddles/seats etc (I like barrel back), knee blocks are put in place for my leg position, girthing straps are placed to suit pony/rider/girth groove/saddle, and its all adjusted until it is perfect. Ditto why i like made to measure bridles - all the buckles line up, fitted to the pony. In my opinion its worth every penny - after all, its the most expensive bit of kit and a badly fitting one will cost you more than a made to measure.

Greylegs

Visit site
My highland has 2 M2M saddles ... The first one was a dressage made with short straps so it could double up to do a bit of local ridden M&Ms. It fits him so well i went on to get another one of the same brand built on the same tree but with GP style flaps for hacking and the very rare time i feel like popping over a pole or two. Both are excellent, fit him beautifully and have never regretted getting them. To answer your concerns about fit etc ... the maker did make an error when the second one was made and it didn't fit - their mistake. They took it back without question and made another within a week which is perfect. Both have been back for re-flocking since, which is normal for wool flocked saddles. I'd definitely go down that route again. Also, both my saddles are code numbered by the maker so if I ever lost them (heaven forbid!!) they could make me another identical one.