Madrid Plane Crash

Gonetofrance

Visit site
Apparently it climbed to 200 feet on take off, the the lhs went on fire and it plummeted to the ground and broke up and burned. The heat was apparently so bad that the rescue services couldn't get near it to begin with.
frown.gif

It is being reported that the situation is so bad that all the emergency crews are saying it is the worst they have seen.

Thoughts to all family and friends.

Gonetofrance

Visit site
Oh god, and they said that some of those would not be expected to make it..... they don't look great on the pictures on Skynews.........
Tragic.......

Sooty

Visit site
I cannot express what I am feeling, apart from a sort of numb, selfish terror as I have quite a severe phobia of flying, and am going on my first flight for some time tomorrow. For weeks people have been telling me how safe it is and I have no need to worry. Tell that to the over 100 people dead.
frown.gif
It is always tragic to lose so many lives in one go, but what a death...
frown.gif

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
My Bf was at Madrid today.

He has just got home having just boarded passengers onto his flight shortly before the accident happened.

He says he couldnt see much - but what he could see was enough.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the crew members on board - who at that height and the type of incident would of been powerless to help passengers on board and of course to the families of the crew and passengers onboard flight JK 5022.

RIP.

Abandluc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot express what I am feeling, apart from a sort of numb, selfish terror as I have quite a severe phobia of flying, and am going on my first flight for some time tomorrow. For weeks people have been telling me how safe it is and I have no need to worry. Tell that to the over 100 people dead.
frown.gif
It is always tragic to lose so many lives in one go, but what a death...
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe one way you should jusify it in your head, is to think that flying is one of the safest form of Transport so the chances of 2 plane incidents in 2 days is very very low.

Thoughts with all involved x

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
Another article on the incident ;

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4576776.ece

It does grate on me a little that they instantly try to find fault with the pilots.

Once the aircraft has reached a certain speed, regardless of fire it is safer to take off and come back in as an emergency landing.
My own airline had a almost identical scenario a few months back with an engine fire and the above measures are the ones we followed - luckily for us we were lucky and we made it safely back down again.

Brings it all to a scary reality check for me.

X

xspiralx

I don't see them blaming the pilots in that article? It just says strong gusts may have forced the pilot to put too much pressure on the engine...

Anyway, this is the stuff of nightmares. It is a terrible fear of mine when I fly that the plane will plummet back to earth, it sounds absolutely horrific. My heart goes out to all those on board and their families.

mickey

Visit site
QR:
This is obviously a tragic incident and a reminder to all of us to live our lives to the full as you just never know.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Catastrophic, and although it is portrayed almost like a soap opera in the media, there are real people with broken hearts out there.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

What I would say is that I still have faith in the aviation industry and in flying. If you look at casualties from flying each yr or even each decade, they will be lower than RTAs. The difference is that when a plane crashes people sadly die on mass.
My Dad has been flying commercial aircraft for almost 40 yrs. When I manage to speak to him between destinations, I fully expect him to say that the bottom line is mechanical error followed by pilot error in response.............perhaps I am wrong but this is my suspision............

Brandysnap

Visit site
Hi friends,

I have every possible admiration for the folk flying these big machines. Hi, Vicki and Mickey - you have personal experience, and thanks for sharing your views.

I heard, only tonight, from a friend in the pub, that the BA flight from China which crashed on landing at Heathrow, was due to ice in the fuel - my friend is a chemical/corrosion engineer, and explained to me that, while fuel absorbs a percentage of water, it appears that the water percentage must have been a little higher in this case, resulting in the aircraft's pumps trying to suck in ice, rather than fuel, from near-empty tanks, as the aircraft tried to land.

How many of the same aircraft have done this trip without mishap? I myself did it, 2 years ago, with Air China.

Apparently the chances of it happening are so low, that the risk assessment stuff doesn't matter, as it works on a percentage?

Sod risk assessment! Something went wrong with this aircraft's fuel from China, and she and her passengers paid the price. Who's fault this was, i have no idea, but my heart goes out to those who suffered as a result, and my support goes out to our wonderful flying crews.

(And i agree, Mickey, regarding RTAs! Pilots are responsible folk - but you should see some of the drivers i meet!!
shocked.gif
)

With every best wish, Barbara x