Mag Ox

Ambypamby

Visit site
Does anyone feed there horses Mag ox? i have read that it is a suppliment for cattle but can be fed to horses for hoof and exitability problems. I rang my local country store but they only stock magnesium flakes for cattle. they said that it should be ok to feed to horse but i dont want to buy it until i find out some other opinions.

TarantuLove

Visit site
I feed mag ox in the form of magnitude by Equine America. Its good stuff but I feed double the suggested rate (2g per 100kg weight instead)

Ambypamby

Visit site
yes it did mention having to use it carefully i think it will be a case of adding a little at first and adjusting accordingly. My horse was fed it before i got him and she got it in a big feed bag size bag and it cost her less than a tenner but i cant for the life of me remember where she said she got it!

spaniel

Visit site
TarantuLove can I ask why you feed twice the amount? Just interested as I use Magnitude as well.

TarantuLove

Visit site
I feed it for feet rather than calming
smile.gif
its recommended 10g a day of mag ox for a 500kg horse..and he is barefoot

Pep12

Visit site
Hope I got to you in time here. Really would not be a great idea to use the Mag Chloride flakes that thye use for cattle. First reason is that they will only contain about 12% Mag and the amount you would have to feed would be huge. there is also a danger of it upsetting your horses electrolyte balance due to the high Chloride content. Stick to trying to find mag-oxide (CalMag is its agricultural trade and any self respecting agriculture mercahnt will seii it) as it is 51% mag and highly available. If you PM me I can send you info on how to feed it

gothdolly

Visit site
Hi there
I feed MagOx as a laminitis preventative. Its cheap - I get it from an online seller on ebay.
Cassandra