major bitting problems!

showjump123

Visit site
I have a 15hh horse that I'm having some bit problems with. When I first got him he was in a fulmer snaffle he never liked it and just went round with his mouth open tried flash didn't work tried grakle didn't work. Recomended a happy mouth. He now rides in a loose ring rubber happy month and loves it he's like a different. Horse so happy. But the only thing is it keeps rubbing the insides off his mouth. Kept giving time off to let it heal but as soon as I ride in it again it rubs again. Any advice on it?

Snoopy1

Visit site
We have been suffering from the same problem for ages. Have worked out that our bit is too big so it is rubbing him. Plus the rubber/material of these bits can cause friction if the mouth isn't very moist. Have been using a friends in a smaller size, and have also been slathering his mouth up with Lanolin cream (don't laugh but was told to try nipple cream for breast feeding mums! available from any chemist) So far, been working a treat, even after a hoolie around the xc course today! Have a look at the sizing of your bit and see if that could be causing an issue and also try some sort of cream (vasaline is another good one) to moisturise and stop the bit rubbing. .

showjump123

Visit site
Yes he is a 5.5 inch its just a loose ring with a losenge in the middle. When I ride him in it he is very soft so doesn't really need much rein contact so I cant see how its rubbing. The rubs are actually inside his mouth so I don't think bit guards would make any difference!

sjp1

Visit site
Haven't had a lot to do with Happy Mouth bits except for a brief period where I used one. The sort of premould ridges on them do seem quite rough and it made my pink skinned appy's mouth sore on the edges.

Do Nathe do the same design of bit, or any other manufacturers?