Make your own..........

micramadam

Visit site
It's been a while since I posted but I've lurked now and again. Been too busy with life.
Anyway what I wanted to ask....

Who on here is very handy and makes their own stuff?
Talking about rugs, bandages, headcollars, saddle pads etc.
Show me pics of your makes.

I started out repairing my own rugs and got roped into repairing them for friends which has now turned into a small home operated business which has taken over the top floor of a 3 storey house.

Gave up my job and loving this. Mainly repair rugs but have made loads of neck pieces in different weights and styles, chest extenders, saddle covers, cap bags, stirrup bags, saddle carriers, field safe headcollars and my next project is to make a Shetland rug out of waterproof and breathable camouflage material. Can't wait to start it never mind finish it! If that turns out ok going to try a full size rug next.

Suggestions for good suppliers would also be handy as my orders for material etc. are getting larger every time.

eventer and proud

Visit site
I wouldn't try bandages simply because it is so important to use very good quality even material to avoid tendon damage. Saddle pads also have to be very evenly stuffed to avoid pressure points. Sounds like you are doing a good job.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I've made my own lambskin half pads and blingy browbands :), will dig some pictures out but think I've only got pictures of the browbands.

Cecile

Visit site
I have never made anything but I had the tiniest foal arrive who was having problems with flies and his eyes
so a friend made a wonderful fly mask to fit his little head, she makes those monogrammed name stable door hangers (Or did) and puts names on rugs etc

pansymouse

Visit site
It's been a while since I posted but I've lurked now and again. Been too busy with life.
Anyway what I wanted to ask....

Who on here is very handy and makes their own stuff?
Talking about rugs, bandages, headcollars, saddle pads etc.
Show me pics of your makes.

I started out repairing my own rugs and got roped into repairing them for friends which has now turned into a small home operated business which has taken over the top floor of a 3 storey house.

Gave up my job and loving this. Mainly repair rugs but have made loads of neck pieces in different weights and styles, chest extenders, saddle covers, cap bags, stirrup bags, saddle carriers, field safe headcollars and my next project is to make a Shetland rug out of waterproof and breathable camouflage material. Can't wait to start it never mind finish it! If that turns out ok going to try a full size rug next.

Suggestions for good suppliers would also be handy as my orders for material etc. are getting larger every time.

Abbey England for supplies - you get increasing discount the more you buy.

Batgirl

Visit site
I 'made' my own wither pad - all the wither pads you buy don't have enough material in the middle to be pulled up into the saddle channel to avoid pressure so I go some sheepskin and cut my own that is long enough to actually sit in the dip of the withers whilst being flush with the saddle.

I am AWFUL at sewing so would not subject my poor horse to the disasters that I would make!

Lintel

Visit site
I wish I was handy... Or had time. Most of my projects turn out a disaster due to lack of patience or time!
Let's see some pictures of your creations :)

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Browbands:

17796415_10155404260244925_8555524209198493595_n.jpg

7D8BCFBD-B3F2-47A6-A3EA-AFD805275699_zpsvyt6ujj7.jpg

I made a pony one too for a friend :).

No pictures of the halfpads though they are super easy to make, just buy the sheep/lamb skin and use a Stanley knife to cut to shape, sew extra fluff trim on if you want to.

LadySam

Visit site
We use rope halters on the RoR yard and one of the volunteers made some for us. I don't think it's very hard to do and there are tutorials out there to show you how to do it. Thing is, although the cord she made them out of is good, she picked one that has a bit too much give. The piece that goes over the poll and ties up has stretched a lot on all of them. They're still fine to use but now very long. If these are something you might do, be a bit careful about the rope you use.