Making a Saddle Wider

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
I'll try and keep it brief and just give you the key points!

New horse purchased last November. Old story of trying various saddles until we finally found the perfect 'one', which was probably a narrow, medium narrow fitting. All fitted by a reputable fitter. Now some 7/8 months on the mare has filled out, become a lot fitter and generally changed shape. Now the saddle has become too narrow! Our fitter came out this morning and assessed the saddle and the mare is now nearer a wide fitting! The saddle is a lovely Morris and Nolan and I've been assured the saddle can be professionally altered. Should I be worried about the widening process??? Obviously we are talking about a leather saddle with non changeable gullets. Any info would be thankfully received!

Shay

Visit site
If done by a professional fitter then there should be no problem. My cob's bespoke saddle has been widened and then a few years later narrowed again. You can take the opportunity to have all the flocking removed and replaced as well - especially if it has become a bit compacted from being re-flocked. You don't have to obviously - but they have the saddle entirely open anyway!

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
Thanks Shay. You've eased my mind somewhat! The saddle will be done today and all being well I'll have it back tomorrow. It's a lovely saddle and I just hope it comes back and fits her like it used to!!! My lad's saddle has gone to be re-flocked so we are saddle-less for a couple of days! Oh well, chance of a rest I suppose :)

Hippona

Visit site
My M2M had the tree widened by the guy who made it....

Bloomin horse keeps changing shape though so Ive gone for a T4...which we both love.

I think any treed saddle can in theory be altered, but I would think theres a limit to how many times this can be done?

crystalclear

Visit site
If they fit your horse (they come in high wither, cob and GP), I use Kent and masters saddles as they have an adjustable gullet you can do yourself :)