Making a stable 'foal proof'

_jetset_

Visit site
I am just wondering what people do to make their stables foal proof. I am using a haynet at the moment which I know you can't use nearer the time but the problem is that if I put her haylage on the floor she starts pawing it into her shavings and then won't eat it!

What do you think of a hay manger? Would that be ok with a foal?

The other thing I am thinking about is a haybar as they have these at studs...

Does anyone have any ideas?

paintsplat05

Visit site
our foal stable at our yard has a haybar as there's less risk of the foal getting caught in it
other than that the stable was left as it is,and i think they used an automatic water drinker instead of a water bucket as mare had a habit of putting her hooves through buckets!

S_N

Visit site
Haybars can be moved from stable to stable and are ideal! If I could have afforeded one, then I would have bought one for B&H! PF is right, I did look into buying a haybag, for the exact reasons she states. I ended up making my own out of an old Army groundsheet - worked really well. They now have hay on the floor - Hector has learnt that hay is for eating and not peeing on!!! A haybar is on my wish list!! They also do wonders for their toplines!!

_jetset_

Visit site
Oooo... very very tempted now! Dad has said he will buy one and then I can pay him back £10 a week (things a bit tight for OH and I at the moment) so just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of it! But if you can move it into another stable that removes one of the conns.

Thanks Isobel, I think you might have made my mind up for me. I hate leaving her hay on the floor because she just trashes it and then won't eat it if it has shavings in!

S_N

Visit site
You're welcome - do ya think he'd do the same for me
grin.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
I'll ask him... you never know
smile.gif
smile.gif

I have just realised that I have had my dates totally wrong. Han is only just 4 months in foal today! I thought we were nearer 5 months, shows how rubbish I am at dates!