Making grass arena

smiggy

Visit site
Would love to make. 20 x 60 grass arena to practice long arena tests. We have a proper school and would only use this when ground dry enough.
I have a flat area but we are on clay and at the moment it’s dry and and a bit rutty. Any ideas on the best way to sort out a flat surface. I don’t think rolling alone will get it flat enough as it’s more holes than lumps.
Anyone done this ?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes but mine Is much larger you can fit a full size carriage driving arena ( 100by 40) in and drive round the outside and get a small course of jumps in it .
It was very very rutted when I started we narrowed and rolled repeated whenever the condition where right .
We stopped horses grazing the area its only used for in hand grazing .
It’s mowed every week when the grass in growing fast and fortnightly once the growth slows are we go through the summer I will get done once more before winter at first we never even walked a horse over it in winter over about three years the going improved and it’s now used as a jumping flat work schooling paddock and it’s great fun .
But it’s a fair bit of work
It’s never used when it’s wet .
I wish I had done it years ago .

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I have a huge one that I can put up a course of 12 show jumps. A farmer sprayed off the grass and levelled and harrowed it before seeding it with amenity grass. A lot of stone picking up every day was needed and I didn't use it for a couple of years while it established. you have to keep on top of the mowing and weed control and stay off it in the wet.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I had just a grass arena for the first 25 years we were here. I set it up at 60m x 20m with proper boards and markers. It worked pretty well from late spring to early autumn, but as others say you have to keep off when it's wet. I mowed it every week, and would shift the arena slightly if the track was getting cut up. We're on loam, though, so easier to manage than clay.