making offers when buying a horse?

Blizzard

Visit site
Hmm Im not very good at this and always end up feeling really cheeky LOL!

However how much would you expect to reasonably have knocked off a horse that £1800 and one that was £1500, no tack/rugs, (would only be buying one of them but they are with the same seller) thanks.

My way of thinking if if a horse is up for £5k then you can ask for a steeper drop, knowing me I would offer £1 under asking price and then feel guilty so give them the pound anyway, too soft LOL!
smile.gif

Snowberry

Visit site
It really depends on what the horse was like? ie. had they overpriced it originally?!

We went to see a pony recently that was ok, never gonna set the world alight. Nothing special but seemed a nice sort. He'd never done anything, been anywhere, had no record.
They werent horsey people in the slightest and kid had lost interest - I was extremly cheeky and offered them half what they were asking and they accepted!!!
shocked.gif
blush.gif

Usually I wouldnt be so cheeky but thought I'd try my luck as I wasnt really bothered whether or not I bought the pony.
4months on the pony has been to pc, ODE's, SJ etc... and is a little star - easily worth 3times what we paid!!
shocked.gif

Normally I would say knocking a couple of hundred quid off is the norm

CobMania

Visit site
Ive known people to offer way below what the person wants, its not cheeky at all, the seller will probably be ready for it!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You can always make an offer, the worst they can do is say no. Most people don't like talking money, they find it embarrasing. When I bought my boy I took my YO with me. I told him what I was willing to pay up to & he did the negociating for me. I left him to it, He got me 20% off the price & everyone was happy. For his trouble I bought the YO a realy nice bridle & a case of carling. He was happy to.