Making THAT decision - in bits am I right or wrong!!

Annagain

Visit site
Sorry you're facing this.
I'm a big believer that PTS is as important to prevent suffering as it is to relieve from suffering. I hope I have the strength to still believe this when I have to make this decision, I know it's not easy.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm another in 'better a week too soon, than a day too late' camp. I always try to make the decision based on quality of life, rather than quantity.
It is never an easy decision to make but it has to be made for the animal, rather than the owner, or all the fluffy people who for whatever reason, try to pressure you into keeping the poor girl going on in pain. I always think that a decision made in the cold light of day, almost as a hypothetical one, such as the one you made in the summer when your horse wasn't coping, is the one to stand by. It is very easy to start having your regrets before the deed is done and consider putting it off, for your own sake, or for those around you. Now you need to go back to the reasons you decided not to take her through another winter.
Thinking of you - and your poor old girl.

ebonyallen

Visit site
My heart goes out to you at this really hard time. We spend all our time making sure that our special friends are looked after and cared for and the last and the best thing that we can all ever do for them is to make sure that they do not suffer at the end. It takes a very brave person to make this very hard choice, and you will when the time is right. We can all offer you advise, but at the end of the day, you are the one who knows your horse best and you really will know when the time comes, please do not be hard on yourself you are not killing your wonderful horse you would be doing the best thing for the animal, and I know you will make the right choice when the time comes. Take care and remember all these people on this wonderful forum are here for you even if we are just a virtual support Take care Chrissie x

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I'm in a similar position as you! my mare is 29 and was diagnosed with arthritis in Jan. She's always been fine until the end of the summer, she looked stiff for a few days when it was wet. then she was fine again until recently.

my other horse is on box rest at the moment so she is in half the day with him and the first few days she was fine but has been really really stiff the last couple of days!

now she HATES being in, she gets really stressed out, however the last few days shes been happy being in, shes called to my boy when I've put her out! tonight she was also really sore on her hind left. arthritis is in both front knees! so being lame behind isn't great!

I don't want to have to make that decision but I really think that I'm going to have to, which means that I have to make other decisions too!

my boy is supposed to be moving to a new yard this weekend so I can bring him back into work, hoping he will be okay but not 100% sure! that means my mini Shetland will be left on his own! so what do I do with him! he's uncatchable, so can't have him on a yard if he has to come in at night! my yard is perfect for him but im the only person there! also if my boy has to be retired then I'd want to put him back at my currently place but if I give it up, someone else might take it :(

milesjess

Visit site
I lost my boy to this after months of battling to get him field comfortable.

Like yours, we tried all sorts but he was retired at the age of 13 and lived out. He had a good 6 months before I made the decision to let him go.

A few things might help -

24/7 turnout to help keep her moving
Bring in only on really bad wet, bitter days
Danilon/ bute daily (a MUST!)
A good joint supplement (Cosequin worked well for mine)
I tried magnetic boots but didn't see much difference
A visit from the physio now and again as they can get back pain etc through the arthritis.
If she can, then small walks and exercise can help but build it up

Ultimately though you know your horse. I made the decision to let mine go as he just went full and gloomy, but he had a wonderful summer and I knew it was time. He wasn't comfortable in the field especially if it had rained and even on danilon daily he was suffering.

I miss him dearly, but arthritis really is a horrid thing as most people who suffer from it know and we must do right by our horses.

Some actually manage with it really well and can still do regular exercise etc... It's just about finding what works for your horse and trying everything you can.

Last edited:

Tiffany

Visit site
I'm sorry you are facing this but know what you are going through. My girl was retired earlier this year and vet thought maybe it was time to call it a day. I asked if she could cope with the summer in the field and she's thrived. Coming into winter with less turnout I'm not sure how she'll get on. She looks well, her weight is the best its ever been, the recent scan showed the injury is no worse although she's still got navicular and OA in fetlock joint. I'm hoping she'll come through the winter but I'll know if she's struggling and unhappy and that will be the time to make the heart breaking decision to let her go.

charliejet

Visit site
I made the decision to put my 8 year old mare to sleep in the spring this year, she had a catalogue of problems that could only be managed (to a certain extent) not fixed and several of the problems clashed in terms of treatment. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done but her quality of life was getting less and she was becoming unhappy even just turned out.
She looked in fantastic condition which made it harder but I very strongly believe 'better a week too soon than a day too late'

Best wishes.

dianchi

Visit site
FWIW

Your vet wont say put her to sleep- they dont do that anymore as i think there was a case where the owners then sued.

Im sorry, yes its tough and horrid, but from what you have said enough is enough, she doesnt sound happy and whilst we arent in the throes of winter its a good time (if there is such a thing)

Good luck xxx