Making the move to affiliated dressage

Tegan

Visit site
Hi

I'm trying to decide whether to register with British Dressage and try some affiliated tests.

Can anyone explain to me the differences between affiliated and unaffiliated competitions and how I can know whether I am ready to make the move.

We have been competing at unaffiliated Novice for about 3 months and our scores range from 58.8-72.8% (although to be fair the 58.8% was when he had lost a front shoe and on grass in the rain.)

Any info. gratefully received.

Thanks
Tegan

galaxy

Visit site
You'll get judges that know what they're on about (I know sweeping statement!)

I made the switch when I got fed up knowing the judge had not any more experienced than I do and some of the comments were beyond ridiculous! Oh and the same people/pony win every time with very dubious tests!

another bonus was that they do weekday comps which are better for me.

Seriously do it!

Tegan

Visit site
Thanks Galaxy

I think I will give it a go. Do I need any special tack/accessories e.g. a bridle number? and will I still be able to compete unaffiliated too?

Weekday comps are a no go for me as I rely on my mum to tow the trailer (must do my test!) but Bedgebury Park which is near me seems to have affiliated classes once or twice a month on a Saturday.

Tegan

Farma

Visit site
I found that its taken more seriously at aff dressage - people are there for points/ qualifiers / training & improving - generally not for a fun day out like you normally are at unaff comps. The standard is higher and you will probably find your scores go down about 4% on average from unaff.
I think it will give you much higher goals to try to aim for as at unaff its easy to reach the top of the tree so to speak and think your doing well only to go aff and realise your back at the bottom.
I would def do it - before I joined I went and watched a few bd shows first mainly to see where I would fit in but a few of the competitors truly wowed me and I thought I want to be able to do what they do!

Tegan

Visit site
Thanks

I think I will go for it. I fully expect my scores to go down a bit.

Can you still have your test called?

Tegan