malamutes

fankino04

Visit site
Hi just wondering what others experience with this breed is, I have had my girl since she was a puppy and she is nearly 5 now and she has always been the most chilled, laid back dog I have ever had! I am picking up our 2nd one from the rspca on Saturday and just wondered am I likely to get this lucky again or should I prepare myself now for an adventure?

misterjinglejay

Visit site
I've got working mals, and have handled lots over the years.

I love them dearly, but wouldn't recommend them as pet dogs, as they can be very difficult. Stubborn, energetic, very, very sensitive, stubborn, aggressive with a very high adrenaline level, stubborn, destructive, and stubborn. (Cyrus, care to add to this? :D)

They can be single sex aggressive, so if your new dog is another bitch, I would be very careful. Dogs tend to forget arguments very quickly, whereas bitches can hold a grudge for ever!

I researched the breed for 4 years before we went on a puppy list - the breeder we chose (I think she chose us lol) breeds for temperament, as well as working ability, and her pups are very sought after. We were on that list for a further 3 years before a litter arrived. So, in all that time you'd think I'd be ready for them - not a chance!

They entered our lives like little dervishes, and 2 years later, they are still the same. We, on the other paw, are broken, battered, scarred, and our lives have changed completely.

Your girl sounds lovely; single mals can, sometimes, be calmer, but be very careful introducing another to the mix - especially if it comes with 'issues'.

If you are on fb there are lots of good mal sites - pm me if you want a list, or any help etc.

Nikki J

Visit site

I love them dearly, but wouldn't recommend them as pet dogs, as they can be very difficult. Stubborn, energetic, very, very sensitive, stubborn, aggressive with a very high adrenaline level, stubborn, destructive, and stubborn. (Cyrus, care to add to this? :D)

They can be single sex aggressive, so if your new dog is another bitch, I would be very careful. Dogs tend to forget arguments very quickly, whereas bitches can hold a grudge for ever!

I researched the breed for 4 years before we went on a puppy list - the breeder we chose (I think she chose us lol) breeds for temperament, as well as working ability, and her pups are very sought after. We were on that list for a further 3 years before a litter arrived. So, in all that time you'd think I'd be ready for them - not a chance!

They entered our lives like little dervishes, and 2 years later, they are still the same. We, on the other paw, are broken, battered, scarred, and our lives have changed completely.

Your girl sounds lovely; single mals can, sometimes, be calmer, but be very careful introducing another to the mix - especially if it comes with 'issues'.

If you are on fb there are lots of good mal sites - pm me if you want a list, or any help etc.

Excellent post - very well said.

fankino04

Visit site
Thanks, I had a funny feeling the second one may liven things up quite a bit, new one is a boy as wanted to avoid any same sex issues, they have had quite a few play dates together and get on well only real hurdles I forsee is him entering "her" territory and having to do separate walks so I can do some recall training with him withiut distractions. Did think from everything every other mal owner has said that mine is broken, she is currently snoring her head off and will be for a big chunk of the day!

Cyrus

Visit site

I love them dearly, but wouldn't recommend them as pet dogs, as they can be very difficult. Stubborn, energetic, very, very sensitive, stubborn, aggressive with a very high adrenaline level, stubborn, destructive, and stubborn. (Cyrus, care to add to this? :) ).

Stubborn is not the word (and there was me thinking it was just because she was an essex bird ;-) )

High adrenaline is something she definitely is she could quite happily go on for hours, her latest thing is to come in from a good two hour walk and flinging her tennis ball around the house and chasing and pouncing after it. Can drive you crazy sometimes.

I would definitely expect some crazytimes when new boy comes home, you will probably find her becoming a lot more energetic and outgoing. If both are fit and healthy get them in harness together ;-)

misterjinglejay

Visit site
Oh yes, get them working - they love it and it tires them out :D. Just don't get them so fit that their recovery rate is fast - that's what numpties like us do lol

I blame the Essexness of them - I heard tell that the breeder can be stubborn too LOL LOL LOL

Nikki J

Visit site
I would never buy a pedigree dog - with one exception - and that is a Malamute. I am a sucker for them, I adore them, and I adore my 2 naughty mally crosses. They are so challenging, so intelligent, I just loves 'em. I will probably end up taking on a mally rescue when our old boy passes on.

ladyearl

vvv
Sorry, nothing really valuable to pass on. I wouldn't have one of these dogs because I don't think they and I are a match breed wise. BUT I think they are adorable so handsome and strong and (if worked) looking stunning all muscled up. Good for you taking the rescue plunge I'm sure your original girl will have set you up well and you seem prepared that it might all get a bit more lively now!

fankino04

Visit site
Thanks for replies, my girl is so quiet that it is definitely time to liven things up and remind her she is a dog! Last night she sprawled on the sofa on top of me like a baby and went to sleep!
Have added a pic of her and the new boy if anyone is interested and will add some of them together after we pick him up tomorrow. So excited!!!:p

First time adding pics so hope they work :confused:

fankino04

Visit site
Well we picked up the new boy and after a not very fun ride home with my girl being very aggressive to him in the car we now have them home and it is going better than expected, she told him off in no uncertain terms for sniffing at her bed and drinking her water so have removed her bed for now and showed her that there is a second bowl if water and they are now happily climbing on top of each other!

shadowboy

Visit site
We have hades for nearly 4 years now and love them (not such a fan of the hair though) the two we've had. (One of each sex) have been wonderful. High energy but not as bad as a spaniel. In fact Nanook just likes to wonder about sniffing and mooching when off lead on walks. He has excellent recall except when he sees another dog within 100m in which case he HAS to say hello. I've found them to be chalk and cheese though - Nanook is more aloof in terms of cuddles where as Tassy would feast upon a cuddle. Nanook is a filthy beast whereas Tassy was a bit of a princess. We had Tassy first and introduced Nanook to her home when she was 8 which took her about 3 months to get used to - the baby gate was out best friend.

fankino04

Visit site
Wish I had thought about a baby gate, tay had always been told no to going upstairs by always I mean once and that was all she needed! Ash on the other hand just kept coming up stairs last night, they are both so friendly and constantly wantfuss! So far only proper fight was at tea time, tay has always been fed ad lib almost, never more than the feed guidlines in a day but she just eats when she wants, so last night put their bowls down at seperate sides of the room he tucks straight into his and she leaves hers and attacks him. Put her oitside with her tea which she didnt eat and he scoffed his in 5 seconds!

Cyrus

Visit site
Fankio04 where is your girl from? Who are her parents?
A couple of my madam, Aunt to MisterJays pair.

2013-01-27171108.png

774830_10151232901756134_707285077_o.jpg

IMG-20130501-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:

fankino04

Visit site
Sorry to have to admit but I am one of those bad owners that bought a puppy from a litter that was a mistake so dont know her breeding, we are in Swindon and have just taken them for a lovely walk to the park, he got walking to heal quite quick and is too new to let him off the lead but he was really good on his long line, sadly her recall has gone out of the Window and she is just an embarrassment!

fankino04

Visit site
Well having said that the new boy would liven things up, we have had Ash less than 5 days and he already turned into a chilled out, sleeping all day boy just like Tay. Maybe I break mals?!

fankino04

Visit site
I bet he's not as big as those Hudson mals in america, can only imagine the inbreeding that it took to get them that size and the health problems they will probably have!

misterjinglejay

Visit site
I bet he's not as big as those Hudson mals in america, can only imagine the inbreeding that it took to get them that size and the health problems they will probably have!

Absolutely. Working dogs? I think not - it just fulfills that macho image b******t, IMO.

I belong to several mally groups on fb, and there's one bloke who post on most of them, always going on about how big his giant wolfy dogs are, and in most of his pictures, he is posing, bare chested with a rifle in his hand!

If that's not a stereotype, I don't know what is!

The one time I commented suggesting that he may be trying to make up for a lack in other departments, he got most miffed :D

Cayla - you can't just put that and not provide photo's of the wufflehound - no fair!