Male riders - Rising Trot

Nayumi1

Visit site
So my partner has decided he wants to start learning to ride. His daughter loans a horse whose owner is more than happy for him to learn on and he has had a couple of lessons so far.

He was riding yesterday in the school and was trying to get the rising trot. Being female I neglected the fact there are things to consider as a male for rising :rolleyes:. He is going to get another lesson soon but in the meantime was wanting to see if anyone had any tips I could give him for the rising trot as a male?

Orangehorse

Visit site
Is the saddle suitable, first thing? I can't see why it should be a problem as men have been riding for millennium. Probably why they can opt for the "chair seat" to start with.

Nayumi1

Visit site
Is the saddle suitable, first thing? I can't see why it should be a problem as men have been riding for millennium. Probably why they can opt for the "chair seat" to start with.

I can't comment on the difficulties, the saddle is suitable and has been used by other male riders. He is learning at the moment and only just started trotting so his balance won't be great. I just want to get some tips that other males have found helped them.

I've told him I'm buying some riding underpants so thanks for that tip!

Nayumi1

Visit site
Saddles of old and how we were taught making hand made saddles is to allow more of a dip in the seat known as "ball room" for obvious reasons. As a male who used to ride it is painful on today's massed produced modern saddles, tight supporting pants are the answer.

Thankyou, he’s definitely going to be trying the pants.

moosea

Visit site
Remember to teach him to control the downwards movement - sounds daft to those who know how to do it, but most learners throw themselves into the up part ... and forget to control the down part.
Encourage him not to rise too high - this will help with his timing and control.
Get him to practice in halt (- with a neck strap for emergency splat prevention only!) then in walk before trot. Remember his muscles won't be ued to the movement so short bursts of practice.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Not helpful I know but mine agreed to have a lesson once having never been on a horse before, only goes and masters rising trot on the second trot they do, apparently it was an added incentive to master it 😂 also think he said watching me previously had helped.

He hasn't been on a horse since it was apparently one of those one off and never again occasions.

soapy

Visit site
Yes. Definitely tight pants. I back mine up with tight breeches too. None of them pleated things for me. The more constrained everything is 'down there' the better. You could also get him to practice the surreptitious scoop manoeuvre. Often the instructor will only turn her back on you for a couple of seconds, so it's important to be quick when sticking a hand down the breeches to scoop everything back up into the ideal position. It looks bad if you're grappling down there for too long.

As other people have said, saddle size is important too. If the saddle is OK even beginner males don't get many problems - until they start jumping anyway!

thommackintosh

Visit site
The distant memories of being an awkward teenager with a riding instructor who (cruely) loved endless hours of riding without stirrups have just flooded back. :/

Here's three key points. 1. Briefs not boxers. 2. Try not to rise too high, so you've got less distance to lower from. 3. Avoid tipping forward.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Saddles of old and how we were taught making hand made saddles is to allow more of a dip in the seat known as "ball room" for obvious reasons. As a male who used to ride it is painful on today's massed produced modern saddles, tight supporting pants are the answer.

I don't know why but...... ball room. Ball Room. Ballroom.... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

OK. Maybe it's just me.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Often the instructor will only turn her back on you for a couple of seconds, so it's important to be quick when sticking a hand down the breeches to scoop everything back up into the ideal position. It looks bad if you're grappling down there for too long.

I had a little bit of discomfort a few weeks ago, and needed to adjust the bits and pieces. The instructor asked why my horse was walking, not trotting, and I answered 'bit of a sheath adjustment required'; then she saw that I had my had down my jods, and understood.

She didn't blush or get flustered, but seemed to understand straight away. I think that she's seen riders need to make this kind of adjustment, and it's quite normal.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had a little bit of discomfort a few weeks ago, and needed to adjust the bits and pieces. The instructor asked why my horse was walking, not trotting, and I answered 'bit of a sheath adjustment required'; then she saw that I had my had down my jods, and understood.

She didn't blush or get flustered, but seemed to understand straight away. I think that she's seen riders need to make this kind of adjustment, and it's quite normal.

Having done a fair bit of training in my time, I agree with this. Men adjusting their undercarriage, women adjusting bra straps and both sexes having drippy noses in winter when working hard were all in a day's work.