MAN Lorry - opinion please

PinkieMinx

Visit site
Hi - buying a 7.5T MAN lorry. G reg, nice living, got it for a good price etc. Just wondered if there was anything to be aware of when buying a MAN?

Louby

Visit site
I havent a clue about mechanics but just sharing what I was advised when I was looking. I was told by mechanic to avoid the older MAN's as in the ones that are shaped funny at the front with a long gear stick, the newer ones have a flatter front. He also said that MANs are fantastic wagons but when they go wrong parts are much more expensive than other wagons.
Im not sure if a G reg falls into the old shaped cab or not and I may be talking a load of tosh but all I can advise is to get it looked at by someone who does know what they are looking for mechanically wise as it can be very expensive when something goes wrong.
I would also recommend a tilt cab. The bloke working on mine at the mo, said he wouldnt touch it if it wasnt a tilt cab (although some dont mind)

PinkieMinx

Visit site
I havent a clue about mechanics but just sharing what I was advised when I was looking. I was told by mechanic to avoid the older MAN's as in the ones that are shaped funny at the front with a long gear stick, the newer ones have a flatter front. He also said that MANs are fantastic wagons but when they go wrong parts are much more expensive than other wagons.
Im not sure if a G reg falls into the old shaped cab or not and I may be talking a load of tosh but all I can advise is to get it looked at by someone who does know what they are looking for mechanically wise as it can be very expensive when something goes wrong.
I would also recommend a tilt cab. The bloke working on mine at the mo, said he wouldnt touch it if it wasnt a tilt cab (although some dont mind)

Hmmmmm not what I wanted to hear. THe G reg ones are not tilt cab and are a funny shape at the front. That being said the people have had it for 3 yrs and their friends had it 11 yrs before then so I am hopeful that is a good sign?!

Louby

Visit site
At least you know its history which is great as its a minefield buying a wagon. The majority of horseboxes arent tilt cabs and they dont seem to have any problems. Its just a benefit if they do have them as to get to certain parts they have to drop I think its the axle to get to them (told you I didnt have a clue :D) and its the labour costs that end up more than the actual job.
There are a few people on here who are fantastic when it comes to wagons so Im sure you will get some good advice Perfect11 and Mike009 helped me massively over the years.
Im sure everything will be fine. Good luck and have fun with it.

PinkieMinx

Visit site
Thank you - I am so pleased with it I just want to be sure I am not walking in to a nightmare.

Anyone have a MAN and can reassure me they are ok??

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
My advice? When you need to find spares do not Google "MAN Parts" without safe search on. Been there, done that:(

perfect11s

Visit site
Thank you - I am so pleased with it I just want to be sure I am not walking in to a nightmare.

Anyone have a MAN and can reassure me they are ok??
Man lorrys are very good I had the later type to yours , the main thing on those old vw cab ones is the gears can be horrid its not the gearbox but the linkage and the cabs seemed to rot otherwise they are good... You will be fine.... enjoy :D

fabscd

Visit site
I have an E reg MAN and i love it. It has sometimes been harder than some other makes to find parts for because it's 23 years old and German, but mechanics and i between us have always managed to find everything we need. The only thing that makes it a slight PITA is that it doesn't have a tilt cab, but it hasn't caused any major issues just yet. Apart from that it is nice to drive, (as these things go!) and has done me well.

maclottie

Visit site
Am now on my second MAN.

The first, a K reg,one, had stacks of problems I am sorry to say. It was very tricky to start because the glow plug didnt work (even though we replaced the glow plug and the relay), the starter motor used to jam and I had to climb under the lorry and whack it with a hammer to free it. The heater fan burned out so then didnt work, the thermostat didnt work either so it used to boil. It used to jump out of second gear so starts at junctions could be tricky. The cab got very rusty especially around the windscreen and under the plastic/rubber mats on the steps into the cab.

Having said all that, once I got it started it drove well and I really liked it. I just couldnt cope with the uncertainty of not knowing whether it would start or not.

I have now got a newer one which so far seems OK .... fingers crossed!!

Good luck with yours - check the gears and the rusty cab particularly - I've heard other folk having problems there too.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
i have a 2001 man! lovely. accelerates up the hills fully loaded! slightly heqvy onthe clutch leg but lovely to drive. had no probs with it. my mechanic loves it!!!!