Management of new foal and mare tips

lirving804

Visit site
Hi, I asked friends who have bred many foals, is it worth paying to go on the new foal management course or mostly common sense and pick their brains instead? They told me mostly common sense and will give me some tips. However despite asking and even offering to pay they are not so willing to sit down and help.

I’m sure most of it is common sense and of course my vet will advise on the health related management. However it’s perhaps the simple things that I have no idea of that I would like to know in advance. Eg ensuring my paddocks rolled. That I have a supply of straw etc. I know simple but although I am very experienced with horses I have no experience with foals. I am foaling down at a local stud and I will ask him too this week as my final straw. In the meantime I just wondered if anyone could give me some practical tips.

These are all example questions and by no means exhaustive:eg travellling back from stud I presume not tied up and no partitions. When home how long to turn out. Turnout in just post and rail. How much handling and imprinting. ( Again I thought I had someone lined up for this with payment but she seems to not understand I’m a planner and like to pay for an hour or so of her time to discuss and check ) eg headcollar or special foal halter ( as I say no idea) I’m not stupid however I’m never afraid to ask and I am totally disappointed with the lack of help despite me asking. How long do you turn out for, best bedding, what to feed, how to start weaning( do I need to make a separate area to control feed) feet trimming, when to wean, best way to.

I know it sounds like I shouldn’t have bred ! I truly wish I had gone on the flipping course. I’m so sure most of it common sense. I have my own place and don’t want the expense of sending her away with new foal as I want to learn.

Just mega disappointed in the people I know who I thought would happily be able to pick their brains even pay them.

So any help on examples or other please help?? I just feel totally clueless and as with everything I do on life preparation and research goes hand in hand with steep learning curves that follow.

TheMule

Visit site
Travelling- straw bed in trailer/ Lorry, all partitions out, mare cross tied high up and foal loose. Easiest to load foal first and let mare follow in. Don't plan on travelling them home until foal is at least 2 weeks old, older if it's any distance.
I prefer out 24/7. If you need to stable keep the hours in as short as possible- either just heat of the day or bring in last thing turn out first thing.
Post and rail is ideal but not essential- proper electric fencing kept turned on and properly tensioned is fine too.
Straw for foaling but then it's your choice after that.
What you feed depends on the condition of the mare- decent grass is adequate if she's doing well, I supplement with a balancer.
Farrier same as a big horse- every 6-8 weeks
Weaning depends on your set up. My preference is to settle them into a herd with other babies and then take mum away. No rush, I didn't do mine until February so they went through winter together- more natural.
Headcollar- you'll need a foal one.
Handling- watch the stud. Once foal is a couple of weeks just handle like a normal horse. No need to do anything extra or special, just quiet, clear boundaries

lirving804

Visit site
Hi
Thankyou this is exactly what I’m trying to find out. Why straw bed on travelling and not shavings. Just more protection? I won’t take from stud till he advises Which is up the road. Isn’t turn out gradual? Yes I gave 2 post and rail dedicated and rolled thankfully with electric off mains. I have a good set up here. All checked over. I presume headcollar off on turn out as I never leave on unless horses difficult to catch? Feed I’m ok with mare but wondered more for the foal. I can ask my vet about that. The weaning is hard as I’ve only one mare in foal. Plus I want her back under saddle so I was hoping as long as foal healthy it’s 6 months? But I do have problem how to separate them as I have no other young ones here. I had planned on weaning that the youngster then goes to another yard for a year with other young same age 247 herds. It’s just how I get to that stage. Again why I was keen to pay people to come over to give me crash course and look at set up. Yknow if need to put a shelter up other side of land etc or borrow a buddy I have time to prep. I’m not going to have the perfect set up for young ones.
Thankyou so much for your help.

windand rain

Visit site
Firstly don't panic Foals are incredible time wasters and are a joy. You will miss out on all the fun if you are constantly worried As above for travelling and turn out. As your mare is away for foaling down then hopefully it will have been taught to lead when you get it back if not you will need two people to do so one for the mare and one for the foal. Intially the foal wont lead from a head collar but by placing a soft rope behind its bum and in front of its chest like a figure of 8 so it can be encouraged from behind, or a hand on its bum and around its chest but thats a bit of a contortionist position. The foal will only need handling for a few minutes a day although no doubt you will do more than that. It should really see a really good farrier as soon after it is bron as they can doa fair bit in helping if it's limbs are not straight then just the same as any horse for checks most don't need doing but do need seeing. Worm regularly from 6 weeks old I presume you have wormed the mare before going to the stud. My foals have always had a shot of tetanus and antibiotics shortly after birth then start the regular ones at 4 months. For the rest of the summer just enjoy seeing your foal playing and having fun sleeping in the sun and being a baby. At weaning the easiest way is to let the foal learn to be away from mum for short spells ie fed in a stable with the top door shut they have been known to jump over the bottom door gradually making it a bit longer. There are loads of feeds for mares and foal and without knowing what condition she is in it would be hard to recommend one. Basically if the foal is doing well a wide bucket of balanced feed for it's mum will encourage it to share what she is eating if she will let it if not a handful of her food in a seperate shallow tub will do. Good grass makes good milk. I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to feed a foal to be honest you want it to grow steadily and at its own pace. The mare on the otherhand will drop a lot of weight by feeding its foal so you ned to keep her fed appropriately. Feed her by eye not by the instructions on the bag. If the field they are in has natural shelter and dry areas then they can live out 24/7. Foals do better unless they need to be in for medical reasons outside. Mostly enjoy him or her and don't spoil the experience by worrying all the time

ihatework

Visit site
Most of it is just common sense!

And like everything horsey - people do things in different ways, even experienced studs! And each have very strong views on the ‘correct’ way

For example:
To assist mare foaling or not
To lead foal from very early, or just let it follow dam?
To turn out in a foal slip (always leather!) or naked
To turn out as much as possible ASAP or play it safe in the early days

What I did when I was breeding my own was to go and work on a big sports horse stud. I saw exactly how they did things, took away the bits I liked and adapted others. I handled LOTS of foals of varying temperaments - that was the most beneficial for me. Did a lot of the vet work, so quizzed the poor vet on all sorts of things.

The main thing I’d ask you, from what you have written, is if you are doing this mostly from home what facilities do you have for weaning and also what other youngstock friends an nanny do you have access to? These are 2 critical things to consider.

lirving804

Visit site
Hi
Thanks for your reply. I feel that it’s common sense but still just little things I wouldn’t have considered due to lack of breeding experience. And all this is really appreciated and helpful.

She’s going away to be foaled down and then back here until weaned youngster will go to another yard lube out 247 with other youngsters same age. So it’s going from that period weaning as don’t have other young ones on here. I have a nice set up but your right I’m planning ahead how to ensure I can wean. ...?

Of course I agree 247 turnout best for horses not ridden as no benefit being in. However how gradual is that. I guess same as when turnout adult horses. An hour or so and build up over couple of weeks.

lirving804

Visit site
hi wind and rain. Thanks for the reply. I’m not in a panic as such. Just not had the opportunity I had hoped for to talk to other breeders over a cup of tea haha. As I felt course was overkill as common sense but the people who said they would help haven’t. So this is perfect and exactly what I wanted a few tips. I’m not too worried about worming, farrier and feeding of the mare as Ive got all those aspects covered. Got fab farrier, I know when to worm and vaccinate and very happy with feeding the mare as I agree good grass and keep an eye on her. But thankyou as again it could easily have been something not considered. ok thanks for advising not to rush feeding the foal. I think I was just wondering as a progression to weaning and I guess how I do that with my set up. This is exactly what I wanted. As I really did feel not rocket science if got good vet, farrier Etc. I think the only consideration is of course handling the foal and weaning. Preparation wise for my yard is how I can go about it ...

TheMule

Visit site
No need to restrict turn out for a foal unless it need it for veterinary reasons (very lax tendons for eg) or the weather gets really vile. Otherwise, much better off out as much as possible, as nature intended.
Weaning with just 1 foal needs to be carefully managed. If you don't want the mare to go anywhere with the foal to settle it in then it's probably best to just do a blunt separation and take the foal off to its new friends. Don't try to do it half and half, that's how injuries happen, unless you have the perfect set up and lots of knowledge.

lirving804

Visit site
Hi
Thanks for the reply. Sorry had no intention of restricting turnout. I just was told that at first just an hour then build up to 247 as I agree no benefit a horse being in unless it’s in work.
Yes so I see the weaning will be the most challenging with only having one youngster. Hence I was keen for my coffee and chat to preempt any pitfalls. So this is fab and all very much appreciated. Ok so as a solution I could send them both to the yard and ask them to wean as better separation set up then bring the mate back. I just need to now know what preparation steps to make. Will message the yard now. Absolutely perfect all of this.

cundlegreen

Visit site
At least you are asking the right questions! Are you doing everything yourself with no help when they come home? That is my situation here, so make sure the foal leads properly in a headcollar not foalslip from the first few days. I have to lead mare and foal, so have a long soft rope which fastens to the headcollar and then goes around the offside and back to your hand. Hold the end and the clip end in your right hand so the foal is in a loop.The you can encourage from the back, and take off the pressure when foal goes forward. Don't try to control directly from the headcollar to start with, as most foals will go up and struggle from the pressure and maybe fall over. I deal with TB and sports horse foals who can be a bit reactive!
As for turning out, it depends a little if all joints are fairly straight. If fetlocks are dropped you don't want too much exercise until things strengthen up. I have always turned out for a couple of hours on day of foaling as long as the weather is good. They need lots of sleep, and if its wet underfoot or windy that isn't good for them. I've got a 2 week old TB foal who has managed to be turned out all day because the weather was so good. It just depends on your setup.

tda

Visit site
First of all don't worry, you're just there to oversee, the mare will do the rest. As long as the environment is safe, let them live out and move about.
I've weaned in a couple of different ways, first time they were in a herd, I just took my mare out (she went a couple of miles away)and left the foal with the herd.
Another time I needed to take the foal away, so I asked my neighbour who has indoor stable block, we walked mare and foal up the lane, into the barn, into the stable, turned round, distracted the foal with a bucket and walked the mare out. We straightaway reversed the trailer up to the outer door, and led/encouraged the foal in, door shut and straight off to other grazing
Wouldn't bother with imprinting, a good scratch will encourage foal to spend time with you, don't be too nice, don't let foal nip you or shove you about
Enjoy x

lirving804

Visit site
Perfect. Yeah you don’t want them being difficult horses as been pampered and not firm. As long as can be led and pick feet up etc. Totally agree. And a friend just suggested similar with weaning as it will be going to another field in the wagon with youngsters. Fingers crossed now for healthy mum and foal!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
at my yard we try to have 2 mares and their foals out together and then weaning ,if 1 foal is more confident or a little bit older we take that ones mum away leaving the 2 foals with 1 mare and after a few days take the other mare away...this year we had 4 foals so they made a little herd and they are still turned out together and weaning was much easier. one year we only had 1 mare who got in foal so my YO found someone who also had a similar sized mare and foal and offered them free grazing. that worked really well so could you perhaps do the same if you have enough grazing for 2