mane length for plaiting

wench

Visit site
how long/short does a mane need to be to plait it? (talking bout TB types with thinnish TB manes!)

and how many plaits are you supposed to put it?

faerie666

Visit site
I usually have them about 3-4inches long ( a hands width), and i've done anything from 9 to 21 plaits depending on the thickness of the mane, and the length of the horses neck for racing and hunting TBs. There's no set number really, just make sure they're not golf ball sized or too small. What are you plaiting for?

katiekate

Visit site
I keep manes roughly from the tip of my little finger to the bottom of my hand - about 4 inches. I plait according the neck length, so more for a short neck, less for a long neck but always make sure I have an odd number on the neck, with the forelock making it even.

wench

Visit site
not paticulary plaiting for any reason, other than a bit of practise, hope to go hunting next year so want neddie to look smart.

Just wondered what the right sort of lenght would be as I think his mane is slightly to long atm...must get pulling!

Stella

Visit site
I can't offer advice because I've been wondering about this too! I hope its okay to ask related questions
ooo.gif
Why should there be an odd number, with the forelock making it even? Is there a set number for dressage?