Mane thinning

scats

Visit site
Millie has always hated having her mane pulled. Unfortunately she has a combination of a bushy welsh mane at the top and a sport a horse mane at the bottom. The bottom bit is perfect for plaits and can be solo combed to length as it’s not too thick, but the top half is ridiculously thick and unruly. I have been solo combing and raking the top, but to be honest, it just makes it worse- it grows back all sticking up and looks like a neglected hedge. Raking it seems to leave these spiky bits too and it’s so difficult to plait.
About 8 weeks ago, I tried to pull it and weirdly she just accepted it. She stayed relaxed and I was careful to pull very small bits. Anyway, I pulled it and it looked fab, was so much thinner and easier to plait and she no longer looked like a mad professor. Happy days, I thought, pulling is definitely the way to go.
Went to tidy it up a bit last night and she lost the plot again instantly. Ended up with me being trodden on and rammed into a wall and her getting very upset so I stopped as I didn’t want to upset her further. When Millie loses the plot, there’s no consoling her.
I don’t want to go back to raking and solo-combing, it just doesn’t work for her mane at all.

Is there any way to thin it besides using a rake? I think I know the answer, but thought I’d ask anyway!

Carrottom

Visit site
Think back to when you successfully pulled it, was it a hot day? Just after exercise? This can make a real difference to some horses.
Otherwise try little and often, maybe just using your fingers.

scats

Visit site
Think back to when you successfully pulled it, was it a hot day? Just after exercise? This can make a real difference to some horses.
Otherwise try little and often, maybe just using your fingers.

I was racking my brain last night but I definitely hadn’t ridden last time, although it was in the summer so it was warmer. Last night, as soon as she saw the comb, or my fingers touched a few strands of her mane, she was going ballistic. That was before I’d even tried to do anything.

scats

Visit site
Two pictures attached- one the result of a rake and solo comb, the other after being pulled-

Attachments

• DD8ACB27-FDCE-4E4E-BCB0-C25782EB7903.jpeg
    DD8ACB27-FDCE-4E4E-BCB0-C25782EB7903.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 3F2A9381-73F2-41DD-8200-BAA165286737.jpeg
    3F2A9381-73F2-41DD-8200-BAA165286737.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 15

ihatework

Visit site
To be honest there isn’t any great solution to this if you want a neat, easily plaited mane. I know exactly the mane type you have 😂

Proper pulling is the best of a bad bunch but obviously that isn’t always possible.

The backcombing and cut / solo comb is a no go.

Raking it to remove bulk and then feathering up with scissors to remove length is the main option, but I agree, spiky bits an issue and plaiting is a battle.

One thing I’ve done, that will have traditionalists rolling in their graves, is to take trimmers and hog about 1/3 of the thickness on the underside. I leave the mane a bit longer than normal, keep it laid and use hooded plaits. It’s actually not too bad unless you look close up.

ihatework

Visit site
Looked like this.
You wouldn’t want to go into a show ring like it mind.

ETA - just seen you have a grey - probably wouldn’t do this with grey hair on black skin as it would be blatantly obvious and not blend in so well

Attachments

• B652818A-829C-4FAD-9839-9BE50224AE82.jpeg
    B652818A-829C-4FAD-9839-9BE50224AE82.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Starzaan

Visit site
Try pulling again but make sure she’s really hot - just after work when her pores are nice and open. Give her a lick or a haynet and crack on. This should help 😊

HashRouge

Visit site
Thanks ihw. I think I’ll have to keep pulling it and perhaps try a twitch or Sedalin.
Honestly, is it really worth it if she clearly hates having it pulled so much? I feel quite strongly about pulling. If a horse is chilled and unconcerned, fine. But if a horse is crushing you into the wall and having an absolute paddy then they clearly find it extremely painful - and why would you put your horse through that? I'd rather have imperfect plaits and an untidy mane tbh.

scats

Visit site
Honestly, is it really worth it if she clearly hates having it pulled so much? I feel quite strongly about pulling. If a horse is chilled and unconcerned, fine. But if a horse is crushing you into the wall and having an absolute paddy then they clearly find it extremely painful - and why would you put your horse through that? I'd rather have imperfect plaits and an untidy mane tbh.

A fair comment and I fully see where you are coming from. I don’t want to put my horse through something she finds painful. I stopped yesterday because I didn’t want to cause her any stress and I started this thread to see if anyone had any alternatives so that I didn’t have to.

She was absolutely fine about it last time though, which I find odd. Anyway, I’ll see what else I can come up with.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have found that horses which hate having their manes pulled often don't mind having a knotted mane combed, which pulls quite a lot of it out. It needs a tail comb with wide spaced and deeper teeth, and do it when wind tangled or deliberately tangle it by back combing first. It's very odd that you can pull some manes this way but I've had several horses like it.

scats

Visit site
I have found that horses which hate having their manes pulled often don't mind having a knotted mane combed, which pulls quite a lot of it out. It needs a tail comb with wide spaced and deeper teeth, and do it when wind tangled or deliberately tangle it by back combing first. It's very odd that you can pull some manes this way but I've had several horses like it.

Thank you. I can comb it quite roughly when it’s knotted and she’s not remotely bothered, so might be worth a try. But the second I take hold of a few strands, even before I’ve done anything, she freaks out.