Manganese advise please

Troylimbo1

Visit site
I have had an osteopath out today who has found a problem with a ligament in my boys back.
She has suggested giving him Manganese but I can't seem to find it on the net and wondered if anyone gives this, how much you give and where to you buy it from.

Many thanks

touchstone

Visit site
I've never seen manganese sold as an individual supplement for horses, but it should be already added to a general mineral supplement in balanced amounts and some joint supplements contain it. I think excess is stored in the liver, so wouldn't want to over supplement with it.
Maybe contacting a feed manufacturer nutritionist might be useful if they could advise on dosage if you can find a supplier.
ETA Cosequin contains additional manganese.

Last edited:

Alec Swan

Visit site
We feed manganese to sheep and cattle, when they're lactating, to help prevent "staggers". I wonder if your osteopath might have said magnesium. Though you do seem certain.

Were I you, then I'd contact her and just check. Mineral supplements can be dangerous, copper for instance, will kill sheep. I've never heard of Manganese being fed to a horse as a supplement, though I may well be entirely wrong in this.

As Touchstone, I'd double check with an equine nutritionist, first. I'd be interested to hear what they, or anyone else for that matter, has to say.

Alec.

Troylimbo1

Visit site
Thanks guys,

I definately heard right as I wrote it down but as you say it is a bit odd that I can't find it anywhere.

I have found it as part of a supplement so will have to check with her on Monday exactly what she means.

Nightmare hey