Mange....anyone else had a horse with it?

bumper

Visit site
I'm looking for any experiences..and tips!

My 6YO pb appy gelding started with bald itchy patches on his cheeks in the late Autumn, which was thought initially probably to be sweet itch. We're in Cornwall, and midges were still clearly about in large clouds right up until early December. He got worse, and the bald patches spread down the neck: he's now missing about half his (already sparse) mane, and half his tail hairs. Several vets from the same practice have seen him now, and concluded a few weeks ago that, in fact, it was mange.
Skin scrapings have come back negative...as I was told they would well do, as the mites apparently burrow deeply.
So, he initially had a steroid injection ..the itching was driving him mad. And another this week. Plus three (so far) injections of Ivermectin/Dectomax, and now he's having daily (4) injections of antibiotics for the bleeding/seeping wounds. Vet has taught me how to inject those. I was using iodine washes too.
Does anyone have experience of this?

Tangaroo

Visit site
Yes my boy had it years ago. It was really nasty. He had been turned away at a friends farm and there was a mangey fox in the field so thats where he got it.#
I didnt realise what it was at first, just that his skin was peeling off like sunburn and was coming away in large sheets! I was trying alsorts until one day the farmers wife mentioned the fox that was always in his field and we put two and two together and worked out it was Mange.
I took him to the vet and they agreed without even doing a skin scrape. He had a jab of ivermectin and that cleared it up. THink i also stuffed ivermectin wormer down his throat but cant really remember.
Hope you get your boy sorted soon cos it really is horrible.

chestnutmarelover

Visit site
Ooow your poor boy, and poor you :( Sorry no experience of mange but Neem oil is fabulous for soothing & is an anti inflammatory :) Has worked wonders with my mares itching due to midges, wouldn't be without it

planete

Visit site
Yes, I took on a horse with it many years ago. I had to keep him cross tied any time I was not with him as the second he was free he would go down and scratch his lower legs with his teeth until they bled. He had to be on antibiotics for the secondary infection and I remember having to bathe him in some special mite killing solution as well as sloshing it over his whole stable and dunking all his grooming equipment, head collar, etc. in it once a week. He made a full recovery but it took several weeks and a lot of work. I hope there are easier ways to get rid of it now.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm looking for any experiences..and tips!

My 6YO pb appy gelding started with bald itchy patches on his cheeks in the late Autumn, which was thought initially probably to be sweet itch. We're in Cornwall, and midges were still clearly about in large clouds right up until early December. He got worse, and the bald patches spread down the neck: he's now missing about half his (already sparse) mane, and half his tail hairs. Several vets from the same practice have seen him now, and concluded a few weeks ago that, in fact, it was mange.
Skin scrapings have come back negative...as I was told they would well do, as the mites apparently burrow deeply.
So, he initially had a steroid injection ..the itching was driving him mad. And another this week. Plus three (so far) injections of Ivermectin/Dectomax, and now he's having daily (4) injections of antibiotics for the bleeding/seeping wounds. Vet has taught me how to inject those. I was using iodine washes too.
Does anyone have experience of this?
just had the bloods back my donkey has had this 3 years running

diamond002_zps6b861408.jpg

Vets given us a huge tablet which i have to dilute in 5 lts water and spray stable also wash rugs it hot water

i have to clip and wash with seleen shampoo leave 10 mins b 4 rinsing
have to have 2 dectomax injections - intro muscular 14 days apart
oral norodine 14 days
treat with insecticide. clear bedding and disinfect stable with virkon
skins scrapes came back first time as fungus

we haven't totally got rid of it. This is last times photo she looks similar this time but sores are crusty and weeping. round he body armpits between legs chest everywhere

Last edited:

kellybee

Visit site
My Appy had it on his face last winter. We wormed him with Eqvalan duo and his hair started to grow back within a fortnight. We also have mangey foxes on our land, the problem is, how do you stop them from catching it again?

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
Defo worth trying the ivermectin wormer, also you could try Coopers fly repellent plus, skratch plus (liquid form would work best for you) is another (working from the inside out - through the pores) makes the blood taste bad for the sucking insects and should help ease the itching.

Tnavas

Visit site
It's good that there is a away of treating the foxes otherwise they die a really painful death.

Did your vet have to advise the authorities as here in NZ it is a notifiable disease.

Also point out that the mange mite can pass over to humans so kep an eye ut for strange skin problems. Evidently they don't live long on humans but can still cause problems.

MAybe someone needs to infect some greenies and politicians pets and then there is a damn good reason to bring back hunting.

bumper

Visit site
Leviathan that's horrid! Poor donkey! The lesions look very similar to my boy's....the bald patches plus the scaly skin.

One of my dogs had it too, a few months back, but I've changed my flea treatment to Advocate on the vet's advice, which cured that.

Tnavas, yes, I was advised that it it zoonotic, but so far I've been ok, thank goodness.

bumper

Visit site
It's good that there is a away of treating the foxes otherwise they die a really painful death.

Did your vet have to advise the authorities as here in NZ it is a notifiable disease.

Also point out that the mange mite can pass over to humans so kep an eye ut for strange skin problems. Evidently they don't live long on humans but can still cause problems.

MAybe someone needs to infect some greenies and politicians pets and then there is a damn good reason to bring back hunting.

I've not been advised to notify anyone. Yup, bring back hunting!

Clippy

Visit site
One of our youngsters got this 3 years ago. He was sharing a big stable with another youngster which wasn't affected and when I questioned this with the vet, he said some horses aren't as sensitive to the mites as others but I had to treat both and do the stable too.

The treatment was Deosect. It's not pleasant but I have to say I saw an improvement from the first treatment. Can't remember how often I had to do it but it definately worked :)