Manic Mane

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
My mare has a mane which resembles a bog brush ! It is really really really thick !!

When I first bought her, she would not even let me run a brush through it and coupled with the fact she had some rather horrible scarring around her muzzle which looked like 'twitch' marks, it's my guess that someone tried to smarten her up for the sales !

I cannot pull her mane whatsoever, but after long and gentle perseverance, I can use a solo comb on her.

However I cannot thin it with the solo comb unless I 'cut' the mane right at the top. However, if I do that, I cannot plait it as all the little bits stick out of the plait (even if I use gel).

Someone suggested that when I clip her, I clip higher - say 2 cm - into her mane. I guess I would have to keep trimming it on a regular basis, say each time I went to a show.

Someone suggested sedation then pull it, but I am not keen on this as it's taken her a long time to trust me as much as she does now.

I went to a dressage show yesterday, did not plait and she looked a real mess compared to all other neatly plaited/clipped horses !!

Any ideas very welcome !!! HELP

fairhill

Visit site
I've got this problem with my mare (I cut it in desperation so it could be plaited, but it's only made it worse...)
On the recommendation of another thread on here, I bought a dog grooming rake (similar to the oster mane and tail rake, Derby House now sell, but a bit cheaper) and it's been fantastic - I've been able to thin the mane enough so that I can trim the ends with scissors or the solo comb.
You push the mane to the wrong side, and rake it through from underneath, and it doesn't hurt the horse, as it doesn't pull any hair out.

Tangaroo

Visit site
Hog it!!! Mine had a mane like this and he hated it being pulled. Even when i tried to tame it over by plaiting it, the plaits stood on end!. A Few months ago i shaved it all off bar the forelock and we both live a stress free life now, and he looks quite cute!

fairhill

Visit site
They're metal, and the underside is sharp and jagged. There's no roller on mine. It gives a very natural effect.

I only got a few months ago, and I'm doing a little at a time as the cut bit will take a while to grow out. The uncut bits were certainly a lot neater to plait than I've ever managed before - she had 23 golf ball plaits before I got it.... now down to a more manageable 17.

This is the website that describes how to use them:

http://www.clippersharp.com/smart_tails.php

Louby

Visit site
My horse has the same type of mane and would kill me if I tried to pull it!. It now lies flat top and bottom but does stick up in the middle and always will I think. I do his with a solo comb successfully. Ok it will never look as good as proper pulling but its fine.. I can plait it too with no difficulty.
You have to do a bit at a time and take the solo comb to the roots before you 'cut'. Dont do this on the 'top' of the mane as you will get spikey bits, use the comb underneath, back combing as you would when pulling and it will thinnen. My horse used to freak when I back combed as he anticipated me dragging his mane out but now he stands as if nothings going on. Dont go mad as I find it shortens it at the same time, dont know how but it seems to. Also dont go too short, if his manes anything like my boys.. course, then its more difficult to plait when its really short. I do have more plaits than the norm but they dont look out of place or ridiculous.
Friend used the Rake on her horses mane but Im not sure, I feel that with a thick mane it could end up spikier than ever. Great for tails though.

fairhill

Visit site
Mine or Happy birds?

I've got a cleveland bay x welsh:

http://www.gallopmag.co.uk/photogallery/...y%20Tomniak.jpg

she's the one on the left, and I've got no intention of hogging her. She's plain enough as it is, and hasn't got a developed neck or topline to suit being hogged. I also think her forelock has been instrumental in keeping her eyes uninfected from flies over the summer.
IMO, clipping every 2 weeks to keep the hog looking smart is more troublesome than occasionally raking/trimming.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
I did think about hogging - but she's such a pretty thing I don't think it would suit her (I'm talking about the grey in my signature) - unless I left her forelock perhaps. She's ID x TB.

I have ordered the rake - people at Clippersharp very helpful and I have ordered one specifically good for manes. I might have another go with the solo comb too. Even with the solo comb it going to take ages to thin it - there is so much of it !!

Angel did not let me back-comb for ages - she too anticipated a hard yank !!