Manners when riding on the road.

Goya

Visit site
To the rider who was riding a chestnut horse and leading a grey, on the Broughton to Orlingbury road in Northamptonshire, at approximately 10.25 this morning

A nod, smile or raised hand would be greatly appreciated by car drivers, and encourage them to slow down for horses.

A scowl is NOT appreciated.

bumper

Visit site
To be perfectly fair to the rider, if I were the one riding and leading along a road, I wouldn't be raising a hand....and my look of extreme concentration might well look like a frown!

wills_91

Visit site
I can understand why sometimes it is not practical to raise a hand, but a smile and mouthed thanks or nod of the head is not to much to ask. Infuriates me when no acknowledgement is made.

happyclappy

Visit site
Try getting ANY acknowledgement from horse riders here!! Hubby and I always thank, regardless of how, never scowl etc. In almost all circumstances, you can find a way of showing your appreciation, even if just a smile or head nod.

muckypony

Visit site
I was taught in my Pony Club riding and road safety test to over exaggerate a nod, smile and mouth 'thank you'. I never pass anyone else on a horse that does this. No wonder some car drivers don't slow down!

BSL

Visit site
I look like one of those stupid nodding toys in a car, toothy grin and head nodding up and down, even for the numpties. What's the saying? " smile and the whole world smiles with you". Well its worth a try:)

MargotC

Visit site
I agree it is bad form to not greet when passing someone. Sometimes there are circumstances that means you have to concentrate mainly elsewhere but a nod or some acknowledgment of the driver should be manageable!

I don't like taking my hands off reins whilst on the road as a rule, the exception being if a car crawls by or stops to let a kid look at the horses as we pass. I always, always smile and nod to the cars that slow down and others we pass however. Most of the time you get a nod back. I prefer to make eye contact with the driver as it makes me feel they are alert as we pass. As a horse rider you notice really well when other riders don't do the same thing out on the roads.

That said lots of cars have no concept of how to properly pass a horse and drive by at crazy speeds. Ridiculous as they wouldn't do the same if they saw a deer or loose cow standing on the roadside, would they. Even if they don't care for horses on the roads you would think they cared enough for their own safety to slow down...

maisie06

Visit site
To the silly little teenage girl who rides out at twilight on the bay in the Eartham area of sussex - please put some Hi Viz on, take your silly earphones out and ride with consideration for your horse and others around you. If you have (cause) an accident I will happily tell the police what a danger you are to yourself and others.

case895

Visit site
If the drivers were obeying the mandatory parts of the Highway Code, there is no need to thank them. I cycled home through Derby yesterday and didn't thank every driver for not knocking me off and I probably had a pretty fierce look on my face.

merlinsquest

Visit site
A few days ago I followed 2 horses riding 2 abreast along a fairly busy road, I crawled along behind them for some time as there was no safe passing place, the traffic behind me continued to build up & still they wandered along chatting, the outside horse was almost in the middle of the road, we passed a wide junction joining from the left where they could have pulled in, but no on we went for another few minutes. Eventually I managed to pass on a straight piece of road, I had been following them for around 5 minutes, they continued chatting, the grey horse continued to wander along in the middle of the road & neither rider acknowledged a single vehicle, as I passed slowly I stared at the riders, one was wearing a union flag on her skull cap cover, yes a GB Team Member, she didn't even pause in her lengthy conversation to so much as glance in my direction. And riders wonder why drivers get peed off & think we are all stuck up inconsiderate snobs...