Manual or auto, Towing with q3/q5

Warmblood95

Visit site
Hi there I'm new to all this so wanted some advice for getting my first tow car.
I will be towing one 535kg horse in an I for 510 1000kg trailer so 1535kg altogether
I was interested if anyone tows one horse with an Audi q3 2000kg towing capacity and weighs 1700kg
Am I okay to tow with this or am I better getting the bigger q5.
The q3 I'm looking at is automatic with a 187bhp engine and Quattro 4x4
Does anyone have a similar set up and what tow cars so you use?
Also any thoughts on manual or automatic?
Thanks in advance for your help :)

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
OH has q3 4x4 ..he just said he wouldn’t tow with his..it has the power and torque but is small in relation to the the trailer and feels it would be too borderline. Just his opinion of course..he bought me a Ford Ranger Wildtrack to tow mine....

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have a 510, they are great trailers but they are big. I don’t know either of the tow cars your propose, but if you have the option to do so, size up. The tow car needs to boss the trailer at all times, inc lorry grooves, tricky hill starts at junctions and in cross winds

Our LWB Shogun barely notices my 650kg IDx mare in the 510.

Reactions: tda

Northern Hare

Visit site
Hi WB95! If you scroll up to the top of the Competing & Training Forum (ie. this page), you'll see a stickie for Towing Clinic, which is run by ROG who is an expert on anything towing related.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say that a Q5 is better suited to the 510, but there's lots of things to take into consideration - loaded weight vs the legal towing capacity of the car - and your driving licence. But I'm sure ROG will be able to advise.

ETA: Just spotted that you've already found the Towing Clinic! :)

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
Do you have a B+E on your licence?

Towing thread link below in signature - have email alerts for that thread

ADD - just seen that you posed a question in that thread but did not reply to the answer

Last edited:

Warmblood95

Visit site
Hello all, thank you all for your replies as being a newbie to towing there is a lot to think about and I don’t want to make the wrong decision so I appreciate all your help! Does anyone actually tow with a Q3 or Q5?
Rog I’m sorry I’m new to this forum and I hadn’t seen your reply I’m sorry, I’m looking at getting +e license once I’ve had a bit of practise round the fields etc with my new car and trailer as will hopefully need less lessons that way.

ROG

Visit site
Thanks Rog, that’s great, is there anything else I can practise to help with my test?
Remember how you had to drive for your car test ? - drive the same as that because that is the way the DVSA want you to drive BUT this time they know you have road experience so will be expecting a higher basic standard

Warmblood95

Visit site
Okay thanks rog think I’ll do some practising while I’m driving round forgetting all the bad habits! Thanks so much for your help!

Midge129

New User
Visit site
I tow with an automatic 2litre tdi quattro q3 and love it. I have a 506 and one (chunky) pony who will weigh about 550kg, i only ever tow just him. Automatic is great for towing and i feel much more confident in a slightly smaller car (i used to use my hubby's hilux and felt it was enormous)! I dont go far and always take my time but this time of year i am out with the trailer twice weekly and think nothing of it. I would definately recommend the q3.

MuddyTB

Visit site
I had a BMW X1 which is basically the same size/weight and towing power as a Q3. It towed my Ifor 510 with 625kg horse brilliantly.
Sure the Q3 would be perfectly capable and good on mpg too. Mine was manual as I don't get on with automatics but that's the driver not the car!

Warmblood95

Visit site
Thank you so much for your replies Midge129 and muddyTB you’ve made me feel confident with my choice now! I’ve got a petrol q3 for the week to see how I get on with the size and fallen in love with it! So now I’m going to get my diesel Quattro purchased! Thank you so much for your reassurance as some people are very negative about towing with a smaller but legal and capable 4x4, so just wanted some advice as I’m new to this!

CrazyMare

Visit site
Flip side. I've towed with big 4x4s, small 4x4s and big, big estates. The small 4x4s were the worst. I'd ALWAYS go for as big a tow car as possible.

Auto or manual doesn't make any difference. Auto is nice on long journeys though.

fairyclare

Visit site
I've got a Q3 and a single mare and foal trailer, the coeval libetre, it is 745kg unladen and MGW of 1600KG, It lovely to tow with and the trailer set up is very good.
I am not an IW fan at all.

My trailer is for sale, my idiot horse isn't a fan of forward facing!! SO back to the 3,5t box for me.

Love my Q3