Marbles for problem mares

wells1

Visit site
Hi I currently own a 7 year old ID x TB chesnut mare and unfortunately she is a typical chestnut mare. She is grumpy bites and kicks and is a bit of a handfull to say the least. I have her on oetsress and have taken her off sugar which has helped the rearing and some of the grumps, however I have heard that vets can insert a marble into the uteress and this can calm them down, has anyone experienced this and can you give me some info on it, or has anyone else got any ideas. I am at breaking point and am not sure how much more I can take.

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
had one at a old yard who was a complete b*itch, but not for me for some reason, but they tried the marble thing and sorry to say but made no difference what so ever. ad to leave the yard eventually as it was riding school and was dangerous. could not come of stable whilst yard was open. Shame though as apparently was lovely to ride.

appyjude

Visit site
Don't know yet, but another forum member was discussing this with me just yesterday. Will let you know if we go down this route in the future........
grin.gif

Jude

miller

Visit site
OH's mare had one - for 3 weeks till she spat it out in the field - worked very well till then.

BUT - now we have her at home, she is turned out more, is in a routine and off all mare supps completely - on old yard was kept on regumate. The only supplement she is now on is Coligone and we believe this has helped her be more comfortable. We tried the Coligone first off as she had a couple of bouts of stressy colic a day or so into season and it was more to stop that but her behaviour changed as well.

All the standard mare supps like Oestruss and Moody Mare etc did nothing at all for her. THe 2nd best thing we found for when she was in season before riding was Sepia as suggested on here by Hils

Walder

Visit site
hi emma - why dont you give that calmer a go that i had - nancys got some on the yard that she isnt going to use - she might sell it to you xxxxxx

cheeky girl

community.webshots.com
Hi Emma

I've had this done about 5 weeks ago. Your welcome to PM me for further details as I've got to dash off now. It has been a success for me but I did try my mare on Regumate first so I knew it was hormonal problems. This worked but I didn't like handling it not to mention the expense so the marble seemed a better route for me. My mare's also on Coligone but it was the seasons that were causing her huge discomfort. She needs both - typical
grin.gif

cheeky girl

community.webshots.com
Yes my vet did it. Very quick proceedure. Waited for mare to come into season and he popped it in. Took all of 30 seconds and then put antiobotics solution in her uterus as well.
She was uncomfortable for the first night and so I gave her some bute (on his advice) and it took about 3 weeks for her body to adjust as she did have a mild season but now she seems fine. Her attiutude was very quiet straight away and not just me the whole yard noticed it. They were all asking what was wrong with my horse as she was so quiet
grin.gif

wells1

Visit site
Thats sounds fantastic, The vet is coming out today so I am going to see about getting a perscription for regumate to make sure it is hormonal and not that she is just a b**ch, will let you know how I get on.