Marbles into mares instead of regumate?

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Im thinking of putting a marble into one of my mares and by-passing trying/trialling regumate because of the cost of it.

Any success stories or un-successfull stories?

From my research it seems that there are certain vets that are better/more skilled at putting it in and have better results, or is it complete luck of the draw?

Thistle

Visit site
I had one removed after a yesr, it had adhered to the uterus and mare was still cycling. Wasn't pleasant for het to have removed either. Was told a 60% sucess rate.

I am interested in a 3 monthly injestion (bit like Depo for horses) that is used in Australia. Would love to find out more.

So for my mare the marble was an expensive waste of money due to the cost of removal when it went wrong

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Ah yes that reminds me I've read about this injection and they do it in the USA. They must do it in the UK somewhere by now..

Mmm..sounds like it was painfull for your girl! 60% is low odds.

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Roody I had been thinking just that but everyone I suggested to said I was mad and no way could you claim it on insurance!

But yes, so you can claim as a loss of performance thing?

miller

Visit site
Good results short term on OHs old mare - then she "spat" it out!
Had very good results with her with homeopathic sepia - equal to marble and regumate

Roody2

Visit site
Yep that's what I did. My old mare starting planting herself and refused to move - not the best thing for trying to do dressage!!
Had vet out to scan etc to make sure there was nothing wrong with her ovaries/womb. Scans came back clear so the vet suggested trying regumate for a month to see how it went. I put in the claim straight after the first vet visit, this was settled no problems. After the first month was up I wrote a letter to the insurance company (as did the vet) to confirm it had been a success and the mare was back to normal. After that they agreed to continue to pay for the treatment for 1 year from the start of the claim.
That was with NFU about 3 years ago so they may have changed their policy since then but it's definitely worth checking.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Marble results seem quite variable and while it *shouldn't* matter who does it, it does seem to.

The implants have been available in Canada for at least a decade, although they aren't as common as you would think they would be, perhaps because you can't adjust the dose or remove them easily if circumstances change. I have seen them work okay for mares with "behavioural" issues that are hormonal in origin but my experience is perhaps not as well as Regumate. Most people I know who use them do it just to make the mare more consistent through a particularly important time. I'm not sure of their FEI status.

KatB

Visit site
Some vets in the uk will do the depo injection, as know someone who gets alot of competition mares done. It is under the radar so to speak though as far as i'm aware.

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Ok thank you everyone- going to try the homeopathic remedy as Miller's suggestion & also see about starting an insurance claim for ovary scanning/regumate or injections. I think I'd rather pay for something that it's guaranteed to work & not waste time with the marbles until next winter.