Mare aborted at 8 months :(

irishdraught

Visit site
An early check of my mare this morning left me reeling after finding her aborted foal in the stable. Her EDD was 21st May.

The vet has been out and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong visibly with the foal, a lovely bay filly.

I had the vet out on Monday after she appeared colicy but all appeared well and although we didn't have any invasive exploration, we put it down to the foal sitting on something making her uncomfortable. All her vitals were ok and normal gut sounds.

It is still sinking in and I feel so helpless, I know it is natures way of saying something wasn't right but......sigh :(

tristar

Visit site
oh irishdraught, i am so sorry, i had this happen a long time ago and understand exactly how you feel.

Cherrygarden

Visit site
So sorry for and the poor mare, what an awful shock, cups of cyber tea and arnica for you or large, real drink if preferable. So sad to see them look so perfect too : ( xx

Holly831

Visit site
So so sorry -

I have had this happen twice and both times have been around 280 days - my repro vet said the foal moves down at that time and in both of mine there was evidence of hemorrhage (sp) in the cord. Both mare have gone on to have healthy foals too.

(((Hugs))) x

angrovestud

Visit site
I am so sorry for your loss its always such a horrible thng to happen my thoughts are with you, I hope your girl is ok. xxx

GinnieRedwings

Visit site
So sorry to hear :(

I lost one at about the same time, 8 years ago and it was really heart wrenching. Vet couldn't find anything obviously wrong but I didn't have a PM done. Vet suggested herpes.

On the plus side, the mare went on to have 4 healthy foals after that!

Lark

Visit site
So sorry to hear this. Absolutely gutting to loose one so late.

It would be worth getting a PM done on the foal to establish if the cause was EHV as this unfortunately can impact on later pregnancies and may require management.

Wish you the very best of luck

Spring Feather

Visit site
I'm terribly sorry to read this. My condolences to you :(

Umbilical torsion can often be the cause of abortion between 7 and 8 months gestation and I admit to always feeling a little tense around this time. Once my mares get to 9 months I find myself relaxing somewhat.

Capriole

Visit site
it certainly is one of those things we all dread :( My stomachs churning at the thought of it.

Im sorry you had to go through that, what a horrible thing to happen.

irishdraught

Visit site
Thank you all for your rally of support, it has been a wretch of a day. A perfectly formed (although obviously not fully developed) bay filly that we were so excited to be having. :(

Bloods have come back negative for any infection or deficiencies for the mare thankfully, and further bloods have been sent off for EVA testing.

Every breeders' nightmare that you always think happens to other people. I had never even thought to worry about umbilical torsion!