Mare and foal back into main herd

Sparklet

Visit site
One of the mares in my horses field (all mares) foaled in February overnight in her stable. Noone knew she was pregnant and it was a bit of a shock.

Mare and foal were moved to another field with no other horses but the field is small and over time the foal is getting stronger and more difficult to handle. She tends to play, rearing etc not realising that humans dont want to play back. It isnt serious as yet but it does need sorting.

Anyhow the owner decided to put the mare and foal back into the main field. Apparently all other mares will act at Aunties and help with the discipline and should accept the foal providing they remember the mare as being part of the herd.

Anyhow she did this on Saturday and it was quite hairy for a while. My horse is the dominant mare and a strapping 16.3 dressage horse and seeing her chase poor foal round the field was a bit worrying....but it was curiosity rather than an intent to harm.

All has settled now but my horse will move her away if the foal strays too close but it is all done quite gently with lots of body language.

What do people feel about reintroducing mare and foal when the foal is three months old?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Glad foaly is still alive
crazy.gif

I would have expected the mare and foal to be turned out with a couple of the mare's quiet, unshod fieldmate(s). Certainly not a herd full of shod horses - some of whom may be assertive, and aggressive towards the foal.

Sparklet

Visit site
I must admit if did worry me.....my horse is dominant and I would have felt awful if anything had happened and I did tell the owner this but the final decision was hers and she was adamant.

Only upside is although she is dominant she has never (touch wood) made contact with anything but she has really impressive body language so probably doesnt need to.

It is all settled now but it was really hairy for a bit.

Oh...just an addition...our groups are small so she field she was introduced into only has my mare and one other.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Well mine went back into the herd when around that age, but she is the only mare and the top gelding adores her and she bullies everyone else. So I had no problems at all.

Have to say if mare wasn't boss, I'd have been much more cautious. Not sure there is a right of wrong answer, all depends on the herd dynamic and whether the alphas are using nice techniques with the foal - i.e. chase them with teeth rather than kicking.

Flyingbuck

Visit site
Agree it depends on the herd dynamic. I only have my own mares here - all unshod - and like to get the foals back out asap. But every horse is an individual and this is where knowledge of your own herd's dynamic comes into play. Providing it can be done safely, I think it is the best way to keep horses.

Here is a pic of my mares and 2 foals all out together and settled - one is 5 weeks old, the other 2 weeks..

DazzleFB25April09329.jpg