Mare Gradings

Prudence

Visit site
What to expect? I've only ever been to BWBS gradings and this will be a SHB(GB) one - anyone ever been? I'd like to know what to expect and what to dress myself and the mare and foal in - I have a fair idea, but you guys might have something pertinent to add. Thanks all!

severnmiles

Visit site
I've been to a few.

Most wear black trousers with white shirts or polo shirts (usually with the symbol of the the breed printed). In-hand bridle for mare with leather lead, show bridle for the foaly, we always plaited out foals a) for smartness and b) because they were shown the next day.

Anything else you'd like to know?
smile.gif

sallyf

Visit site
Dress and turnout pretty much the same as for a show.
Many years since we have bothered , but the normal stand , walk and trot up.
Then they used to take them away and vet them.
Vet checked eyes , all that sort of thing.
May have changed , but not hugely i would have thought.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Dress and turnout pretty much the same as for a show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tweed jacket and cream trousers, usually matched with a beagler for SHGB but for the warmblood societies you would dress in black trousers and white top.

At the 'vetting' they will measure bone and height.

Prudence

Visit site
Thank you both:
She is being vetted this week and the grading 10 days afterwards.
I figured to plait both for smartness - brown tack though yes? What about bit for the mare? Rugby Pelham or snaffle? & Brown leather?

Prudence

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Tweed jacket and cream trousers, usually matched with a beagler for SHGB

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I don't have to wear a tweed jacket (thankfully, as I don't own one), but will be wearing beige trews, shirt tie and maybe a gillet. don't have a beagler though................

severnmiles

Visit site
Is she a warmblood? Sorry if I missed that!

If she is then ideally a loose ring snaffle. Brown tack always looks smart...in my opinion.

At Addington and Moreton Morrell we walked and trotted the mare up in a concreted area, then they went to a seperate box for the glance over, bone and height measurements. They then went into the indoor school and were walked on a triangle, trotted on a triangle(in-hand) then let loose to canter, caught again and stood for the judges. They are then marked on each movement and their conformation and limbs. Over 54 is premium!

Hope that helps.

sallyf

Visit site

We have always plaited mare and foal and used a double bridle or pelham on mare.
Have always used brown bridle but thats personal choice.
Better they now vet at home , it used to make it a long day doing a full vetting after the judges had finnished there bit.

Prudence

Visit site
Yup, she's a warmblood, her foal is a by the same BAY TB stallion that your chestnut filly was by (the one out of the coloured mare). Cum on - you know who this is!! Surely you do!

So I take it that mare and foal will be loose then?

tigers_eye

Visit site
SM - Mill Law's owner advised that I get my mare (a reg SF) graded once she has the foal at foot with SHGB. This is because although Advanced she has crap conformation. She is also getting arthritis and would certainly not look great in hand. Do you know what sort of options I have? Will they overlook her conformation probs if the foal doesn't have them and in light of her succes eventing? (this is what ML's owner suggested).

severnmiles

Visit site
Definately agree with ML's owner, she's right in saying grade her when your mare has a foal at foot.

Although they are grading the mare they will look at what it has produced and if it is really smart then they will take that into consideration. Is she old? Does she still move well?

Several stallions failed their stallion gradings on poor conformation/other reasons namely an advanced trakehner who was competing with Kitty last season, he was graded purely on his comp record, I don't know if the SHGB work in the same way though.

Talking of Mill Law's, a friend had a filly out of her mare by him this year and she's as bold as brass, lovely little lady! Rhi's (my chestnut yearling) dam is in foal to him too. Can't wait for March
smile.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yup, she's a warmblood, her foal is a by the same BAY TB stallion that your chestnut filly was by (the one out of the coloured mare). Cum on - you know who this is!! Surely you do!

[/ QUOTE ]

Warmblood should be loose ring snaffle. Awww, that would be Kings Composer then..any pics? Well that 2y.o will be more of a hunter than an eventer, she's as bold as brass and the new owners already sit on her bareback and ride her through the woods from the field to the yard in a headcollar and leadrope...and she's 2!! Shows the temp he passes on!

Are you keeping your foal?

tigers_eye

Visit site
She's 15, will be 16 when graded. She is roach backed and cow hocked, hence doesn't have great movement behind (better when ridden), but very flashy in front. She has days when I think she's starting to get string-halt, and she moves a bit crookedly. She evented for 9 years, but even without knocking herself at the beginning of last year it would have been her last season, I could feel her getting stiffer. Difficult - I can't see her looking good really.... What time of year are the gradings incidently?

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've woken up now
smirk.gif
please excuse me....didn't get to sleep til 1am last night! Long and tiring weekend....So how is the sexy little man?

sallyf

Visit site

As it is a SHB grading you are going to why not contact them.
But im not aware that they have ever loose schooled them for this particular society.
Who knowa though as things change.

sallyf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Definately agree with ML's owner, she's right in saying grade her when your mare has a foal at foot.

Although they are grading the mare they will look at what it has produced and if it is really smart then they will take that into consideration. Is she old? Does she still move well?

Several stallions failed their stallion gradings on poor conformation/other reasons namely an advanced trakehner who was competing with Kitty last season, he was graded purely on his comp record, I don't know if the SHGB work in the same way though. [ QUOTE ]

SHB do take a competition record into consideration highly for mares and stallions.
Both Kings composer and Weston Justice failed ther gradings with them first time , but later passed when they had better competition results.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Usual in hand stuff. The panel usually have a combined age of 947 between the 4 of them! and and don't take to kindly to mares who go wild when they see a field full of foals next to them! Not that I had an exciting time at all. However they did grade my mare she got 8 overall in spite of being a twit. Worthwhile doing in my opinion
wink.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
Can I be cheeky and interrupt the thread? I've heard gradings mentioned before but don't actually know anything about them - what are the why's and wherefore's and how's for getting it done?

Am very curious as we've never thoughts of getting our mares graded - probably as we've not really heard of it.

Can you get a 15hh 3/4 TB mare graded and what would be the benefits and who would you get her graded by?

Again, apologies for hi-jacking but I'm intrigued now!

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
The idea is to produce a breeding register for sport/competition horses, any mare can be graded, provided their conformation is basically correct. They are awarded marks for each section of their body, paces and attitude. There are 3 studbooks, Foundation, for mares with a mark between 5 and 7.5 or with no breeding papers. Main or mares with 1 generation of pedigree or a mark above 7.5 or a proven competition record. Head stud book is for the chosen few who have full pedigrees and must have a mark above 8.5. I hope this makes things a little more clear. If you are thinking of breeding of your mares it is a good idea to have them graded.

Gingernags

Visit site
Well from dragging the orange one to the BSPS champs, she got some brilliant marks for conformation - she's a proper old fashioned hunting pony - goes in SHP and WHP and has won at county level etc and evented, dressage and showjumped to pony club championship level and just done bits of everything. I guess sports horse would definately cover it!

Am going to do endurance with her for a couple of months next year until I send her to a stallion, around June time, but the foal is just for me and will likely be the only one I breed. Is it really worth it then?

Anyone know of gradings in the NE of England or will I have to travel?

Prudence

Visit site
King won his grading - was the top TB winning the Macdonald Buchanan Trophy. His 1/2 brother Devil's Jump failed his grading.....

Prudence

Visit site
Who is she registered with CT? IMO you'd be best off contacting SHB(GB) - they do grade better with a foal at foot though! So you've plenty of time to organise stuff!

Gingernags

Visit site
Hmmmm. Not registered as such, she has a passport but from the British Diving Society! Not registered with Wetherbys and I don't think 14 years down the line they'd do it though her sire is a registered TB and I know the stud owners.

She's registered with the BSPS if that counts?
grin.gif
Though probably not!

Foaly will be an anglo arab near as dammit as she's going to an arab stallion to breed me an endurance horsey!

maestro

www.westonstud.co.uk
Weston Justice actually failed his second grading, having passed first time. His passed on conformation failed on his loose jumping (too lazy to make a shape couldnt see the point in it !) We represnted next year having gone advanced in 10 month so they had to accept he had scope!

sallyf

Visit site
King did win his grading but was the only T.B forward on that occasion and in those days they were judged seperately from the warmbloods.
He did fail first time though.

sallyf

Visit site
It is a travisty that JP failed at all.
Whether it was 1st or 2nd time.He has some much natural ability .
Its all a bit of a joke really , He has the classic sort of breeding the SHB are striving for.
Its no wonder that the society are now having trouble attracting T.B stallions.