Mare imported from Netherlands - any ideas?

char3479

Visit site
I recently bought a mare in poor condition from a dealer. She has no passport but she is microchipped. (Some of you may remember that she was advertised on Horsemart for £200, 19 yrs old, poss in foal).
She's doing fairly well, has had her teeth done, wormed, rugged up & fed well and she is slowly beginning to look a bit better. Vet thinks her teeth indicate she is in her twenties. Her feet have been hacked at, possibly after being overgrown, rather than trimmed professionally.
I've traced her microchip to a company in The Netherlands who tell me the chip was sold to a vet in the East of the Netherlands and implanted in 2006.
There I have hit a dead end and her previous life remains a mystery.
My reason for posting is: Why would an elderly mare be imported to this country and consequently end up in dreadful condition being sold for meat money?
It makes no sense to me - if she was destined for slaughter, why would she be brought over here? If someone went to the trouble of chipping her, she must have belonged to someone who was interested in her security.Any ideas/ suggestions as I have no experience of the market in Europe. I assume she had a passport for her to be brought into the UK. Any possible scenarios springing to mind? Thanks in advance...

be positive

Visit site
I cannot help with your questions, possibly put on breeding as it may get more response, but wanted to say I am so pleased the old girl has found a good home, do you know if she is in foal?

char3479

Visit site
Thanks, will try breeding.
Not sure about the foal yet. I was told by the person I bought her from that she was about 9 months pregnant and to expect the foal Feb/ March but the vet examined her & couldn't feel the fetus. Her uterus is enlarged so said 'could be positive, but over pelvic brim' and if she is pregnant she is only 5 - 7 months.
Will let you know after scan!
Would prefer it if she wasn't in foal as she's old & has a fairly big heart murmur so not sure she will cope. But she's obviously a tough old lady. If she is, it's better that she's got a while to go - hopefully give them both time to build up a bit :)