Mare in season 4 years after both ovaries removed!

Sfb12

New User
Visit site
My mare had both her ovaries removed over 4 years ago, she has always had the odd light season which I have mentioned to a few vets, most dismiss it as behavioural but one or 2 say it isn't totally impossible. Getting the ovaries out was a huge improvement in her behaviour, she was downright dangerous previously and although you still have to be aware she is generally a rather nice horse to be around now

Fast forward to beginning of September when I got a new gelding, mare has been in season more often than not since he arrived, and today I saw her squat, squirt and tail twist in his face - thankfully a pretty decent fence between them!

Has anyone got any experience about mares without ovaries being total tarts and teasing geldings.

the gelding is fine with the other mares, and the others aren't in the slightest bit bothered by him, just the tart! and she is seriously winding him up

Fransurrey

Visit site
Is it possible she could have ovarian remnant syndrome? It's where a small amount of ovarian tissue is left behind. In humans it's often enough to prevent oophorectomy induced menopause, so must be possible in horses, too.

horselover11

Visit site
I used to work in an equine vets and from what I remember the ovaries to the procedure does not always achieve the total removal of estrus behaviour. The reason for this is that some mares will continue to produce estrogen from another source, possibly the adrenal glands, and the problem will persist after ovariectomy.

I remember a few teaser (aka mount ) mares having ovaries removed so that the continued production of estrogen made them appear to be permanently in estrus. Then they stood for the stallion and the stallion can be collected from.
The best way to see if your mare is atill producing estrogen would be to do a blood test to check the levels