mare jumping out of her field!

seaofdreams

Visit site
my retired 10yr old mare keeps jumping out of her field, the problem is she is 140days in foal and as you can see from pictures the fencing is not small ! (she is 15.3hh)
there is no ware else to put her all the fencing is lower,
i don't know why she is doing it, she will have been retired from ridden work 3yrs in december and the vets said her leg would get worse and that i should have her PTS when it is to much they gave her 6months max, as i said that was 3 years ago and she is so happy (and very sound) at the moment she has to trot and buck everyware and jump out of the field !! im having to ride her gently in the school just to give her somthing todo, i only walk for 10-15min and a couple of long sides in trot (more her idea than mine)
the weird thing is she does it everytime i have been down ?
im just so worried about her being in foal and her
doing it.
i took these tonight just to show you how big the fence is!
STA70566.jpg

STA70562.jpg

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
What a gorgeous coloured, bet the foal will be a complete stunner.

Right well have you tried the tying plastic bags to the fences, would that put her off?
Or (this use to work with my Mum's old horse), a line of electric fence just inside the post and rail, the ticking was what put him of we think?

She obviously is feeling very well!

seaofdreams

Visit site
thanx, she is extreamly bold, to bold for her own good so i know plastic bags won't work she would have her head in them investgating for food!!
i think electric may have to be tried
no she has her best friend with her and they are extreamly close, there is nothing in the next field but if that gate is open she just comes and stands on the yard

Molineux

Visit site
My old horse used to do that! The YO would find him down by his house eating his lawn!

He only used to do when he was left alone, so if the horses had gone in and he could not see any other horses then he used to jump out, which was wire
shocked.gif
!!

I would try putting her in a field where she can see others around her, or get a lick or a ball to put in the feild with her.

Hope you get it sorted, the foal is thinking WER HEY !!!!!!
grin.gif

monica123

Visit site
where abouts does she jump out, as in the first pic, to the left of her is a broken part of the fence, that has 2 rails broken, could she be jumping out there, or has she done that jumping out?

seaofdreams

Visit site
it not that she hasn't got horses next to her of with her
there are 3 fields in a row they are in the middle one, there are horses in the far one then lottie and ellie then the nearest one which is used to ride in at the moment then on to the yard and she always comes towards the yard, and if the gate onto the yard is closed thaen she stands very quietly by the gate or grazes on her own

there is more grass in her feild then there is in the front field, so it's not for the grass either.

seaofdreams

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
where abouts does she jump out, as in the first pic, to the left of her is a broken part of the fence, that has 2 rails broken, could she be jumping out there, or has she done that jumping out?

[/ QUOTE ]

no she jumps the bit she is standing by the otherside has horses in and she never goes that way

flyingfeet

Visit site
Well looks like she is jumping out *because she can*!

Shows talent though - good for the foal! The only thing likely to stop her is electric fencing.

We had a mare that jumped out, but if you went to see her mates still in the field she would jump back into see you!

lilpete

Visit site
My horse jumped a 5ft metal gate out of his field today, hes never done it before! Think he was having a strop because he was out on his own. Hes usually fine though!

seaview

Visit site
My 2 year old is exactly the same she just jumps out and then danders round the yard or follows you, however I do think she is crossed with a dog as she is huge 16.2hh roughly and just has teh sweetest temperament!
xx