Mare Left Out on Her Own This Evening! Should I Rant?

Elsbells

Visit site
My mare was left out tonight on her own for at least an hour, she was stressed and so pleased to see me and I had to wash her off as shed got herself, not in a huge state but let's say uncomfortable.
I'm on a small yard and the other stables are taken by a family that don't work and so come and go at all times, I on the other hand work in the evenings and I try to get to the yard which is thankfully just a few yards from work, before they do.
However tonight I get there to find she's been left out....alone!
I have asked that they don't do this and she's easy to catch, her stable is ready and only a few steps from the field so I'm surprised and a little upset as these are people who believe they are animal lovers?
How could they do this as I know I couldn't and why? I do think they want me to pay them to bring her in and I'm not about to. She's a lovely girl whose worked and ridden, theirs are not.
Should I be annoyed, say something, or just ignore them?
If the shoe had been on the other foot I know for a fact they would of been screaming and phoning a vet!!

Orson Cart

Visit site
This is the down side sometimes with small yards. At the end of the day their horses are not there to be companions to yours and if they don't want to bring your horse in then it's your prerogative to sort it out yourself. Perhaps ask them to let you know if they bring in again overnight so you can get down there asap. Otherwise, get a companion. She probably spends time in the paddock on her own during the day when they are with their horses, so will no doubt be stressing then as well. Your horse is not their responsibility.

Elsbells

Visit site
Yeah this is what I have thought and I guess I can't expect other people to have the same ethics as myself. I'm just surprised and perhaps niaeve although they do hold themselves up as animal lovers/rescuers, so how can leave an animal in distress!? I know for a fact I couldn't do it but I guess I'l have to try harder to be harder. I've got to admit though that my mare is getting braver so maybe they are doing us a favour and anyway, traffic does go both ways.

SusieT

Visit site
Why should they handle your horse who is as you say in a distressed state and risk getting kicked? Why should they make extra trips to the field - it is their hobby and their horse.
Not saying I would do it but you have to look at it from their point of view- also it is good for them to learn to be out on their own!

Orson Cart

Visit site
Nothing to do with ethics ... You can't expect people to care for your horse simply out of some perceived 'goodness of their hearts'. your horse is your responsibility, not theirs. And if they have children at the yard with them, they won't want to risk their personal safety for the sake of a horse that has nothing to with them and that they don't know. If the set up doesn't work, pay for someone's services to come and see to your horse or move yards where the set up suits yourself better. They should not have to pander to your horse. There is a horse similar at our yard ... I would not risk myself to bring it in. The owner knows there aren't services available at the yard and still chose to come, so it's their problem for them to sort out. I will not put my child, my horses or myself at risk for the sake of a horse that isn't mine and is unpredictable. Equally I don't expect anyone to handle my horses ... And I bought a field companion for mine so that I don't have this issue.

Last edited:

Elsbells

Visit site
Nothing to do with ethics ... You can't expect people to care for your horse simply out of some perceived 'goodness of their hearts'. your horse is your responsibility, not theirs. And if they have children at the yard with them, they won't want to risk their personal safety for the sake of a horse that has nothing to with them and that they don't know. If the set up doesn't work, pay for someone's services to come and see to your horse or move yards where the set up suits yourself better. They should not have to pander to your horse. There is a horse similar at our yard ... I would not risk myself to bring it in. The owner knows there aren't services available at the yard and still chose to come, so it's their problem for them to sort out. I will not put my child, my horses or myself at risk for the sake of a horse that isn't mine and is unpredictable. Equally I don't expect anyone to handle my horses ... And I bought a field companion for mine so that I don't have this issue.
Um excuse me, but my horse is not unpredictable and I have been on this yard for 6 months and apart from the times I have paid them to take care of my horse whilst on holiday they have never not once had to do anything with her at all, plus they are adults and there arnt any children!?
There is absolutely no call for you to have a go at me.
All I have asked is that they don't leave her to gallop up and down and possibly hurt herself. IMO if you will pick a dog up in the street, why would you leave a horse to hurt itself?

Achinghips

Visit site
I would move to a bigger yard if I were you so that your horse can always see other horses and you aren't reliant on what someone else does. If you keep a horse on DIY livery, you can always expect problems. In my experience, if not due to your horse, it will be due to someone else's, and if the problem isn't the horse it's usually the people politics ..... and this makes being self sufficient difficult. I'm so glad I have my own land, can't stand livery yards.

Last edited:

bluebellfreddy

Visit site
From the sounds of it you could just ask them to text you if they have brought there horses in and yours is still out. You can then pop over bring yours in and then go back to work. I would not expect them to bring yours in, very likely she was happy when they left then decided she actually wanted to come in.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Why not?
if her stable is only a few steps from the yard why is the horse a problem to be left out?

I think OP has explained, she does not want her horse to get injured or stressed, no one would want that.
I would be inclined to get someone in from outside next time you go on holiday, but I suspect they would turn awkward and mess your horse about.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If you dont want to pay to have her brought in then why should they do it for free they are running a business not a charity, if everyone had that attitude when I un my own yard I would not have earnt a living.

Elsbells

Visit site
From the sounds of it you could just ask them to text you if they have brought there horses in and yours is still out. You can then pop over bring yours in and then go back to work. I would not expect them to bring yours in, very likely she was happy when they left then decided she actually wanted to come in.
This is what is happens and yes she calms down eventually, it's I just felt sorry for her as she's a good mare and they've got no reason to be mean to her. I've also helped them out on a few occasions and it would of been no less than I would do but then I always think of the animal and not the owner.
Il keep myself to myself and enjoy my horse.
I will ignore them

Joyous70

Visit site
OP I understand exactly how you feel, i am on DIY livery yard, there is only one person, two at a push that would bring in or turn out my girl, as she has a reputation for being lively on occasions, and is incredibly higly strung, so i understand people will not want to bring her in or turn her out, even if i pay for them to do it i wouldn't want to risk them getting injured, (not saying your mare is the same).

I think if i were you, i would ask them if they would be so kind as to text you if they are at the yard before you, if they intend bringing theirs in, which would mean your mare left out alone, this way you can nip out and bring her in, this is what the girls do now for me if they are bringing in and leaving the yard before me, I am 15-20 minutes away from work or home, if they are still at the yard they will wait for me to go down and get her in.

Maybe its due to the fact its half term and their routine has changed.?

Goldenstar

Visit site
A horse should know how to stay in a familiar field near the stables alone .
I should have thought it was a pretty vital thing for a horse in livery to get it's Head around .
I do think it's was a bit unfeeling of them to leave her but perhaps they did not feel confident to handle her if she was upset .
TBH I would not want to have to bring someone else's horse in and out because I wanted to do my own .

TGM

Visit site
I do think they want me to pay them to bring her in and I'm not about to.
Why are you so adverse to paying them to get your horse in? Surely you want the best for your horse, and if there is an easy option to pay to have your horse brought in when necessary that will avoid her getting stressed, why not go down that route?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I couldn't leave a distressed horse out on it's own even if it wasn't mine. I did bring in someone else's horse every week day for one winter because of this exact reason. The owner left her stable ready, so I just popped her in and then the owner came as soon as she could after work. The owner in this case worked longer hours than everyone else and the yard didn't offer services. I was happy to help out.

ETA - If I couldn't get to the yard soon enough and services were offered, I would pay to have mine bought in (if I had a single horse).

Last edited:

fatpiggy

Visit site
Try reversing the situation - your don't want your horse left on its own, but you aren't prepared to pay the others to bring it in with theirs. How about they leave one of theirs out every day with yours and you bring it in - every day, for free. Would you be happy about that because I suspect not? I moved to a yard and the person in the box next to me moved the same day, we worked at the same place and despite the fact she lived half the distance away that I did, and only worked p/t so didn't have to be in at 9am every day, I ended up doing her horse every morning, 7 days a week and that includes Christmas Day. She simply used me (and in many other ways too). Never again!

Elsbells

Visit site
I can see what your all saying but it was a one off as they brought in very early and I didn't know she had been left out on her own.

Well we're on a training regime now and if I'm honest, We have been for a while. She'll go out on her own without a problem, whereas before she wouldn't. This morning she was on her own as the others had gone really early which again is unusual and I kept her in with me while I mucked out, she objected to but then settled down.
I've always been the one that's put on and I thought a tiny yard close to home would stop all that. I've always been the one putting out 3 to have my 1 brought in etc and it's been so nice not to have to deal with other horses but spend to all my time on my own horse instead, I've been far to convenient and soft in the past as I work evening so I'm around during the day if anyone asks me, and me, I never say no.
I'm sure I can toughen up and so can my girl. Of course this means I won't be available for anyone else from now on.

SpringArising

Visit site
A horse should know how to stay in a familiar field near the stables alone .
I should have thought it was a pretty vital thing for a horse in livery to get it's Head around .

Agree with this. As you said, they're probably doing you a favour. She needs to get used to being out alone for short periods. Nothing worse than having a horse scream and go mad when it's on its own.

I do think they want me to pay them to bring her in and I'm not about to.

Well then you can't expect someone to bring her in for you. As other people have said, it's your responsibility to make sure she's OK. If you're that bothered you could get her a companion.

She's a lovely girl whose worked and ridden, theirs are not.

How is that relevant to the situation and why are you looking down on them for not riding theirs?

Elsbells

Visit site
And just add, I do get away from my job to bring her in and as I've already said she's only up the road, plus I've usually got her in at least 30 mins before they arrive. This was an unusual event, not as some have assumed, the norm.

luckyoldme

Visit site
I agree that the horse will get used to being on her own. A small yard works well with give and take on both sides so I don't get why anyone would need paying to simply stick a horse in its stable, that's not the way it works for me. Your post sounds as if you feel resentment to them for not having to work, and wether other folk like it or not I get where you are coming from with that....I would love more time to ride and have a life, but I have to work. By the same token if that's the way you feel I would be looking for somewhere else, small yards only work without bad feeling.

Elsbells

Visit site
Thankyou luckyoldme. Not resentful I hope and they are nice people, I just can't understand how they could leave her like that? Perhaps she seemed ok so they didn't bother? What I do know is that she is settled at this yard and I like it because she does despite it being small and having very few facilities and poor hacking. I do have my lorry though and we do go out every weekend with our club and even camp, so We shall be staying regardless.
Yes it's time to toughen up so we shall.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Can you not just say to them that if they do on occasion bring theirs in early could they bring your mare in and you will pay them for their trouble? Or is your worry they will then do that all the time?

Elsbells

Visit site
Can you not just say to them that if they do on occasion bring theirs in early could they bring your mare in and you will pay them for their trouble? Or is your worry they will then do that all the time?
I guess I don't want to make anything official tbh. I've managed to make it work so far and I just need to toughen up and suck it up. In time I'm sure my girl will be fine with it all as she knows I'll always come and rescue her.....eventually.
I didn't want this post to sound like I have major issues because I don't, it's a little yard with just 4 people on it and it's nice to be independent from a large yard.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I can see what your all saying but it was a one off as they brought in very early and I didn't know she had been left out on her own.

Well we're on a training regime now and if I'm honest, We have been for a while. She'll go out on her own without a problem, whereas before she wouldn't. This morning she was on her own as the others had gone really early which again is unusual and I kept her in with me while I mucked out, she objected to but then settled down.
I've always been the one that's put on and I thought a tiny yard close to home would stop all that. I've always been the one putting out 3 to have my 1 brought in etc and it's been so nice not to have to deal with other horses but spend to all my time on my own horse instead, I've been far to convenient and soft in the past as I work evening so I'm around during the day if anyone asks me, and me, I never say no.
I'm sure I can toughen up and so can my girl. Of course this means I won't be available for anyone else from now on.

I'm afraid you have two routes to solve your problem - become a part or full livery somewhere, or get your own yard.

Stormynight

Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me which posts get flamed on this forum. Those you'd expect are playing with fire are left alone, and perfectly reasonable threads are jumped on.

FWIW, I'm on a large DIY yard. One of our yard rules is to never leave a horse out on it's own, unless the owner has stated that it's okay to do so. That means that horses are never left to get themselves into a state, nobody gets hurt (including the horse), and the fields don't get churned up with them galloping about. Everybody wins. I've always thought it was common courtesy, to be honest.