Mare napping at junction

lhotse

Visit site
Hello all
As some of you will know, I brought a 6 yr old arab mare at the end of March. After a few teething troubles and airs above the ground, we have made great progress and are pretty much forging a great partnership. However, the past couple of weeks she has been napping slightly. I have been hacking her out with someone from another yard, and her first napping was at that yard as she expected to go in to meet the other horse. Thos was cured straight away by meeting that horse at the end of my lane instead. She will now happily walk past said yard. At the top of the hill is a left hand lane, the main road goes straight on. She seems to want to go straight on, as that is the way she has been with the other horse. She has also hacked down the lane, both with yet another pony and by herself, but only a few times.
There is a scary pig farm at the end of the lane, which I have had to lead her past before so I don't know if this is why she has taken to planting at the junction, or whether she actually prefers to play with the artics on the main road!!
So, my question, am I making progress!!
Wednesday she planted at the junction, so rather than have her out in the middle of the road, I jumped off and led her into the lane. She planted again when I got on, a car came, a flick with the whip and we were on our way. No more napping at all, just the pig farm where she stopped a couple of times but I gave her time and lots of praise until she went past.

Friday, planted again, flick with the whip, threatened to rear so released the pressure, took her onto the grass triangle and she walked on after a few sideways steps. She then proceeded to walk past the pig farm without stopping!!

Today, I had already decided not to use the whip as I think it caused yesterday's reaction, got to junction and as soon as I asked her to go into it, she did a mini rear, shouted at her 'I DON'T THINK SO', and she walked straight on. Again, no more naps though the whole ride and straight past the pig farm.

The rearing is not malicious, I know from the previous owner that she will take her feet off the ground as a resistance, but if you release the pressure and keep off her mouth she relaxes.

She would walk on along the main road with no issues, and she is great with all the traffic. She did her first gate today, coped with a horse trotting up the hill in front of her before the junction and walked through a herd of cows on the common on the buckle, so she is pretty near perfect.

Just worried that she is clever and might get the upper hand, although I think she hasn't.
Not dealt with napping before, my last horse never refused to go anywhere, she just went everywhere fast!!

Cocorules

Visit site
This sounds as though it is a case of building her confidence. Pig farms are enough to put off most horses. Their sense of smell is stronger than ours so she may be able to smell it. Get her confidence up by going that way in company as much as possible before venturing on your own.

lhotse

Visit site
I don't think it matters about the company of another horse to be honest as she is quite independant even in company, and it would seem that she is gaining confidence going past the farm already. The farm is a good mile away from the junction, so I don't think she can smell it from there. I need her to hack alone, I have my own yard and trying to arrange someone to hack with can prove difficult as I work strange hours. I need her to be confident in me, not hide behind something else, although I agree that in company, it is often easier. I think we are getting there though. The trouble is, the other pony we have hacked that way with was rather nappy last time too, so seeing as mine is still a relative baby, I don't want her following by example. I'm not sure a 10 second resistance really counts as a nap!!

rhino

Visit site
Sounds like you're doing a very good job indeed! You're not getting into a battle with her so she ends up in a tizz, and you're not letting her get away with it either. Perfect!

I don't tend to ride nappers with a whip, I prefer being able to use 'strong' leg if necessary, combined with the occasional growl ;) Plenty of reassurance when they are making an effort and moving forward, just as you are doing. Lots of groundwork, moving their feet, backing up, side pass etc can also help.

My boy went through a phase of being a bit nappy at junctions, although as it was due to having had an accident it wasn't really the same and he was genuinely scared. Yours just sounds too clever for her own good :cool:

lhotse

Visit site
Yes, she's certainly clever! I think the whip is to be carried just to keep the cars out of the way now, it's not helping the situation ans to be honest, I would rather just sit something out unti she decides it's the right idea than get her upset. I had to do this the first time we passed the farm on our own, going towards home that time. The dogs were barking and we were there for a good 5 mins until she decided that she wanted her tea that evening. Arabs, who'd ave em!!
ME!!!
I should add that every time she agrees with me, she gets lot of praise too, which she does seem to respond to.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I don't tend to ride nappers with a whip, I prefer being able to use 'strong' leg if necessary, combined with the occasional growl Plenty of reassurance when they are making an effort and moving forward, just as you are doing

With my chestnut mare and the six month long 'do I have to go past the alpacas?' battle - I actually found that the best thing was to ride with two schooling whips. I hardly ever needed to tap her with them, but flapping them by rotating my wrists (so that she could see them move, but I didn't touch her mouth) really worked.

I also like to have a neck strap, so that if she leapt forwards, I wouldn't jab her mouth.

It sounds like you are doing a good job lhotse. :)

lhotse

Visit site
To be fair, the mini rear was the only thing she did wrong! Even when there were horses on the other side of a hedge galloping like loonies, all she did was walk a bit faster with her tail held high. I just don't fancy the mini rear becoming a proper rear!! She wasn't impressed with the kids on the playing fields the other day though, that was worth a snort or two!

Alyth

Visit site
It sounds to me as though you are doing great! I certainly agree with hopping off and doing "ground work" if the situation looks like becoming dangerous - hop off before that happens!! But if it is a case of her looking at something else rather than concentrating on you, then I wouldn't just let her stand there while you wait. I would say "ok, you don't want to go forwards so we will do a turn on the forehand to the right, then immediately afterwards, another to the left, then two steps full pass to the right, then 2 steps left half pass" or sometheing similar!! Keep her mind busy and concentrating on what you are asking rather than what she wants to look at!! So the easy option for her is to walk forward!! Good luck.

Simbacat

Visit site
Here's something I've found is working for me. When I feel my mare begin to get a bit hesitant or is going past something I think she may not like I make a rhythmic tut tut noise in time to her walking pace. It seems to relax her and me - and I think it tells her I know she is nervous but there is nothing to worry about. Having done this for a couple of weeks now it seems to be working like clicker training - its like magic now! I wrap my legs around a bit firmer sometimes to be positive but no need for squeezing or kicking that would only wind her up! Worth a try