Mare scanned in foal but still attracted to stallion?

marotelle

Visit site
Hi, my warmblood mare has been scanned in foal last thursday,she and three of her companions are due to be moved to a new field at the end of this week, she was coverd and has lived with the stallion for the past three months; so after the scan she was returned to the field awaiting her transfer.
THe mare has shown no signs of heat ie urinating or blinking yet the stallion has covered her twice since last friday....
Should I deduce from his behaviour that the mare has slipped the foal?
He is an experienced 19 jear old stud, the mare is quite placid towards him and is not very impressed by his behaviour but tries to ignore him.
My problem is that I wanted to remove her to a field with the other broodies, do I await another 18 days to have her rescanned, presuming she lost the first foal or simply go ahead with the transfer? Having her rescanned this week is a problem, as my vet has gone on holiday and the new field is quite far away with no facilities for scanning.
So I wanted some learned opinions from experienced breeders!
Can a 'infoal' mare still be attractive to a stallion?In the scan she was Clearly infoal...
Thankyou for your opinions.

Spring Feather

Visit site
You'd be having the 25 day heartbeat scan presumably? So I'd just go ahead and have that done and see what's going on. Does your vet not have a portable scanner to scan in the field?

Dry Rot

Visit site
I don't know about other people's horses but by watching my small herd of Highland ponies I have come to the conclusion that there is a certain amount of social sex which has more to do with bonding that procreation. I can't guarantee that it is always empty mares that are penetrated as I am hopeless at keeping diaries, but it might be.

Dogs kennelled together also indulge in mounting without penetration, both sexes either way, which is social rather than sex. I think it just establishes and confirms the social hierarchy. Nature is economical with behaviour patterns, often using one behaviour for several different functions..

PorkChop

Visit site
My mare was still interested in the stallion even though she was in foal, I would definitely wait and have her rescanned, don't assume anything!

texas

Visit site
My mare still smells attractive to my experienced stud on the same cyclical basis as if she wasn't in foal, but she is. She changes behaviour too. She doesn't actually let him do anything though so my poor boy gets very confused at the mixed signals! Maybe your mare is just less fussed about protesting.

marotelle

Visit site
Yes when she was covered, she would have been at her 22 second day of her cycle, had she not been confirmed in foal three days previously(if this makes sense).What surprises me,is had she slipped her foal on one the three previous days could she have a folicle ready at such short notice???! Me thinks she is a little hussy.....Time will tell, I will have her rescanned in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for your answer.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Yes when she was covered, she would have been at her 22 second day of her cycle, had she not been confirmed in foal three days previously(if this makes sense).What surprises me,is had she slipped her foal on one the three previous days could she have a folicle ready at such short notice???! Me thinks she is a little hussy.....Time will tell, I will have her rescanned in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for your answer.
If it was only 3 days post 18 day scan when the stallion covered her again then had she been slipping the foal at that stage, the 18 day scan would likely have shown that she was losing it. I'd just go ahead and have her 25 day heartbeat scan and then you will know :)

marotelle

Visit site
In the 18 day scan, the dark round circle was clearly visible,there was a white sclera around(top) of the circle, which my vet told me was normal,he followed
scanning to make sure there were no twins.
The fact you tell me that should she be slipping the foal at that stage, it would have been picked by the scan has set my mind at rest.
I have brought her in to keep a closer eye on her, and shall follow your advice to
have her scanned for the heart beat a little later.
Thank you for all your good advice,this is a 15year maiden mare who has given me enormous pleasure eventing ,she owes me nothing and is very close in my heart.