Mare still in season despite being on regumate

OliveBuffy1129

Visit site
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with very mareish mares & them still coming into season on regumate?

I’ve had her nearly 2 years having bought at the end of August and she was fine the first winter till around April when she became very mareish, incredibly spooky and tense ridden. It’s slightly odd since her competition records were incredibly consistent all summer so either she was treated then or it has become significantly worse.

We tried the improvac injection but she had a reaction so used regumate instead with relative success over summer/last winter although notably a little spookier & more difficult than the 1st winter I had her. This year she is just still coming into season badly & is so touchy to ride and incredibly tense, definitely a lot worse than over winter and 100% hormonal related. I notice a bit of a difference in behaviour consistently all summer, however it does get a lot worse when in season & will then pass and improve for a period of time.

Obviously she shouldn’t be coming into season whilst on a relatively high dose of regumate & I feel it isn’t working as it should so am wondering if anyone has any experiences or recommendations with similar?

Melody Grey

Visit site
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with very mareish mares & them still coming into season on regumate?

I’ve had her nearly 2 years having bought at the end of August and she was fine the first winter till around April when she became very mareish, incredibly spooky and tense ridden. It’s slightly odd since her competition records were incredibly consistent all summer so either she was treated then or it has become significantly worse.

We tried the improvac injection but she had a reaction so used regumate instead with relative success over summer/last winter although notably a little spookier & more difficult than the 1st winter I had her. This year she is just still coming into season badly & is so touchy to ride and incredibly tense, definitely a lot worse than over winter and 100% hormonal related. I notice a bit of a difference in behaviour consistently all summer, however it does get a lot worse when in season & will then pass and improve for a period of time.

Obviously she shouldn’t be coming into season whilst on a relatively high dose of regumate & I feel it isn’t working as it should so am wondering if anyone has any experiences or recommendations with similar?
Yes, I had a mare who managed to resist regumate- to be fair there was a whole host of other serious problems with her, so it could have been down to that somehow. The vets were stumped. I tried upping the dose gradually but it made no difference. She wasn’t ‘mareish’ in the slightest, but definitely in season.

Do they still use the marble to address hormonal issues? Might be worth a try?

Shay

Visit site
What do your vets say? Might a marble be a better option? Equally if her seasons have been controlled for a number of years might her biology finally have got the better of the drugs? Perhaps letting her cycle naturally for a few months would help.

The-Bookworm

Visit site
I only gave mine regumate over one winter. It stopped her winter seasons and allowed her system to reset. We didn't touch it again as didn't need to.

She still has seasons but we now use Devils Claw come Spring and Summer and she's manageable.
Her issues were discomfort causing 1/10 lameness behind. If your mare is tense could it be from discomfort? And how's she's moving?

A farrier told me once that the back end sort of softens to be ready for the stallion. They are also scent marking and their mind is programmed to reproduce and easily distracted.