Mare still not right

Ceriann

Visit site
6 weeks ago my mare presented as shuffly and awkward in trot at our lesson. This was an hour or so post a very exuberant hooley in the field. So assumed she’d pranged something (looked like a back issue). Physio and vet have been out - physio thought she’d fallen - very sore on right side (rib cage) and lumbar region. Vet work up showed no lameness (also used lameness locator) - very slight indicator on left hind but the locator is super sensitive and vet said too low grade to be the cause. So 4 weeks of muscle relaxant, light work (unridden) and see how she goes. She has improved a lot (physio agreed less tight etc when she saw her 10 days ago) BUT shes still not right on left rein in particular (canter almost looks 4 beat) and lacking impulsion behind. Vet call tomorrow to consider next step, which is back x ray and/or look at that left hind. Im going to try and post videos (heart in mouth moment!) - the resistance band was physio recommended to try and encourage hinds to step under.

My videos ar too large even if i reduce them to less than 10 seconds! Any ideads how i czn share or anyone happy for me to try and PM them please?!

Steerpike

Visit site
Just as a thought did you have bloods done at the time? My thinking is maybe she tied up? I had a mare hooley around the field which caused her to tie up.

Ceriann

Visit site
Just as a thought did you have bloods done at the time? My thinking is maybe she tied up? I had a mare hooley around the field which caused her to tie up.
No I didnt and I am starting to consider that now - had a look at PSSM symptoms this morning. I guess I could start by testing her. She’s 10 - ive owned her for about 20 months and this is the first time i’ve seen this with her.

Steerpike

Visit site
He levels may have gone down by now but it will give you an idea for the future if it happens again, sorry I can't be much more help!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Usually I look at videos and think Nooooooo, that horse is awfully lame. With yours I don't doubt you when you say that she is wrong, but I have seen a lot worse!

If she has been getting better, as you say, then I think I would just do straight line hacking for a week or two, and then re-assess. Did she have any discoloured wee/bedding?

Ceriann

Visit site
She looks lame left hind to me
Agreed. Just have to bear in mind on full work up (flexion etc on hard surface) no obvious lameness. This supported by the lameness locator my vet uses which is ultra sensitive - it did pick up a very slight left hind indicator but at very low levels (well below a level to indicate lameness). One option is to explore that hind.

ihatework

Visit site
I think the most obvious thing to me is the difference between the two reins. More fwds, fluid & less 4-time on the right rein.
So the initial finding of a left hind lameness would be a reasonable thing to investigate first. Otherwise possibly a sacro type strain?

Ceriann

Visit site
Usually I look at videos and think Nooooooo, that horse is awfully lame. With yours I don't doubt you when you say that she is wrong, but I have seen a lot worse!

If she has been getting better, as you say, then I think I would just do straight line hacking for a week or two, and then re-assess. Did she have any discoloured wee/bedding?
She is so much better than she was and it only really shows on left rein canter now. We’ve gone from shuffly in trot through to unwillingness to trot on left rein through to obviousuch stonger right rein work through to unwillingness to canter on left rein to this. She doesnt pee in her stable so havent noticed!

ihatework

Visit site
She is so much better than she was and it only really shows on left rein canter now. We’ve gone from shuffly in trot through to unwillingness to trot on left rein through to obviousuch stonger right rein work through to unwillingness to canter on left rein to this. She doesnt pee in her stable so havent noticed!

If you are seeing noticeable and gradual improvement I might be inclined to pop her in the field for a couple of months, especially if you aren’t insured!

SEL

Visit site
I know when my little draft fell in the field last Aug the physio was still finding a bit of heat in his shoulder in Nov - it can take time.

I've got a PSSM horse and if yours did tie up then you're doing everything right to get her back on track again.

I am surprised the lameness locator didn't pick anything up though because there is a real difference between those 2 videos.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If you are seeing noticeable and gradual improvement I might be inclined to pop her in the field for a couple of months, especially if you aren’t insured!
This. She's not quite right yet, but she's improving, so she may well just need more time.

The equine insurance industry has fuelled an epidemic of questionably useful early interventions (due to owners panicking over the ticking clock) when all that is needed is rest and and dr green.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would have some bloods run looking for muscles enzymes and for chronic and acute inflammation markers .
Have they checked for SI pain .
A bone scan might be a good use of money.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
The equine insurance industry has fuelled an epidemic of questionably useful early interventions (due to owners panicking over the ticking clock) when all that is needed is rest and and dr green.

So very true - and also unwarranted and unhelpful hasty early interventions to encourage the owners to part with either their own hard earned cash or drain their insurance cover. Not all vets I hasten to add - but a good few out there seem to be more interested in their bank balance than what is best for horse and owner.

Ceriann

Visit site
Im going to see what vet suggests as next step - i’ll send him videos. My vet is pretty good at not over investigating - i like the locator for that too and as weve used it before (front feet issue) we were able to compare results to how she was circa 18 months ago (hinds no different). She is happy out - obligatory roll on turnout (which looks good - ive watched) and she has her moments in the field with the others with no obvious discomfort. For that reason id be happy to try a longer time out with unridden work - light lunging and walking out. Im not too keen chucking her out and hoping for the best.

If i was to treat her as pssm positive, any supplements i should try. Shes out on ok but not good grazing, in overnight on decent ad lib hay, gets topspec lite balancer and a small amount of sugar free happy hoof and a few tablespoons of micronised linseed.

Ceriann

Visit site
Just watched the videos I would having the vet straight back .
Anything in particular worrying you from the videos - any particular avenue you think I should pursue? I have watched them until I can’t see straight and I just can’t see beyond her inability to push through from the hind - mainly left hind. She’s improved since I’ve used the band and she does occasionally look better than this. I don’t canter her for long at all - it is my test for improvement.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You know it’s just a guess but if you made me guess .
I would say SI and or the suspensory attachments in the hock or perhaps bone spavin could be KS .
Might she have broken a rib that can show as reluctance to push through ?
Something is wrong and the vet needs to find it .

Ceriann

Visit site
You know it’s just a guess but if you made me guess .
I would say SI and or the suspensory attachments in the hock or perhaps bone spavin could be KS .
Might she have broken a rib that can show as reluctance to push through ?
Something is wrong and the vet needs to find it .
Thanks - I’m leaning toward SI or back. Rib is an interesting suggestion. I thought suspensories before work up but lack of lameness, soreness in lumbar region pointed to back hence treatment. It’s not worked though so back on the list.

SEL

Visit site
Natural vitamin E if you want to supplement for suspected PSSM. It's good to supplement in winter anyway when grazing is low. Expensive though.

ETA - have you sent the vet the videos? I got much more useful input when I did that, esp as adrenaline on a trot up seems to make mine think she's sound

Ceriann

Visit site
Videos sent to physio and vet today - i will call vet in the morning and arrange a visit. I will make sure we get to the bottom of it - shes a lovely mare (and helped me a lot in the time ive had her) - i want to make sure shes right. My vet investigates at home (to a point) so that will be easier.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It might be interesting to put the LL on her again and see if the results are different to last time. I think it's quite good for showing progress (or lack of) and can be used when doing blocks too.
I'd probably start blocking that left leg and see what came up.

Ceriann

Visit site
It might be interesting to put the LL on her again and see if the results are different to last time. I think it's quite good for showing progress (or lack of) and can be used when doing blocks too.
I'd probably start blocking that left leg and see what came up.
Helpfully you get the LL “free” for a follow up. Left hind followed by back x ray was discussed when vet came out. Given what i see (and youve all pretty much spotted) and LL indicating an issue with that hind (albeit low grade) it makes sense to start there.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
The difference between the two reins and the way she's moving on the left look very like a horse I knew who damaged his ribs. He wasn't mine so I can't quite remember if they came to the conclusion he had fractured it or just damaged the muscles around the ribs....it was around the connection to his breast bone I think.

ETA: the owner had him body scanned in the end because they never managed to get anything to block out and then it was diagnosed from there with scans.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Given the presentation (ie after a hoon) I'm not sure I'd be too quick the with the back xray, soft tissue damage would seem more likely (I'd query SI for that too) though of course she might have aggravated something pre existing. Did you see all the hooleying?