Mare Thinks It's Spring Tonight!?

Elsbells

Visit site
Well she wandered about around me at the gate but refused to be caught. She then stole the Apple I'd kindly brought for her as a reward, then bleeding well cantered off with it!

When I walked out in disgust and back to the yard,she called annoyed from the hedge. Later I went back in prepared to give her another chance but again she circled me refuseing to be caught. Then I approached her with the offer of treats as I was starting to get frustrated and desperate, I have work to get too tonight I muttered as she snatched them and promptly trotted off bucking and yahooing as before. Back she came at the clang of the gate, it had started to get dark and I thought I'd cracked it, she was coming in........but then she got down 3ft away from me and quietly in her own time.......rolled!?

Eventally, we did it and she trotted in like a naughty kid. I'm guessing the weather today which has been really nice and the days getting brighter and longer are turning her into a springtime pony. I'd said to OH this afternoon, I bet she'll give me some trouble tonight and I was right.

Anyone else's horse changing yet?

Adopter

Visit site
I have the opposite here! Still quite thick snow lying on the ground and it is freezing again so ponies are hanging round yard tonight and even switched on the yard and stable lights to get some attention!! As I had been out this evening it unusual for lights to be on, so I went out to check and was relieved to see they still had some hay and were quite calm, just spending night in yard and boxes.

Elsbells

Visit site
We've been very lucky here re weather, yes we have had the cold and snow but nothing like other parts of the country have, it seems to pass over us?

Whoops! Pride comes before a fall!

AlwaysWorried

Visit site
Just realised what that may have looked like - I mean rearing up, not lame! We had a disagreement as to whether she should be coming in or not... Painful for me, because she's big and strong and knows just how to yank my arm out of the socket, but she was absolutely fine!

w1bbler

Visit site
My 26yr old semi retired beast is behaving like a feral horse.
Took a beginner out for a first time plod on him last weekend. When I ride him trot seems a huge effort. Turned my back closing a gate & the git cantered off, stopping only when he got to a ditch he realised was too big to jump, depositing beginner in the ditch :-(
He's now running round his field, having bucking competitions with a 5yr old mare, & not wanting to be caught. I think retirement is over & if he has that much energy its time for more work.