Mare with foot problem back into work?

Fiona

Visit site
I am in the process of trying to bring my 5yo TB mare back into work after she bruised the wing of her pedal bone (NF) about three months ago. The vet has seen her twice in this period, most recently about 5 weeks ago, when he x-rayed, pinpointed the area of inflammation and suggested walking her in hand or under saddle for 15 min each day. She is also turned out.
I have been walking her in the sand school intermittently since then, doing big circles, serpentines etc without turning too tightly.
I thought that perhaps she was ready to start fittening work again. Last night I gave her a little trot on the right rein and she was absolutely fine. Tonight I did the same, them changed onto the left rein. On the left rein she was mostly OK, but had about 1/2 a circuit where she seemed not lame, but definitely a bit rushed and "scuttley", and then was OK again. Obviously she has been off work for three months and is only a young horse, has lost a lot of muscle tone, and in fact her NH stifle has started to catch occasionally when she stands (which has not happened since she had a growth spurt as a 4yo).
What I am wondering is should I continue riding her briefly and have a little trot on either rein, or assume that she is still not quite 100% and leave her out for another month.
The vet told me that this is a slow injury to heal (as any inflammation within the hoof capsule generates pressure within the hoof and therefore pain), but she seemed so much better in the field, and being led about that I thought she was ready for a little work.
What do you think I should do??
Fiona

seabiscuit

Visit site
Would a visit from a physio and a Mctimoney Chiropractor help? Any kind of injury can make them over-compensate on their use of other parts of their body making them unlevel. It does not sound like the foot, it sounds like it could be a simple straightening out problem that a physio could sort out.

Aside from the foot injury she could have easily put out a hip or stifle or something in the field- which could be showing the symptons you describe..

I would keep on exercising, perhaps long rein her in walk for 30 mins a day, and then just walking under saddle every day for a few weeks in straight lines for about an hour ??

Fiona

Visit site
Was thinking of getting the physio out, as the first night I rode her she was v stiff and not tracking up at first. This improved after 10 min, but she hasn't been checked over since April, and I am sure you are right that she will have been compensating for the fact that her foot has been sore.
Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Well I rode her again last night, with trot on both reins. Right rein was perfect, left rein had a tiny bit of head nod (though stride length was the same) at the start though improved after a minute or so. This made me think that it was stiffness, rather than lameness as such.

However when I turned her out, I led her round in quite a tight circle on left rein, and she was still v sore on the LF.

Have booked her into vets on Friday, perhaps will x-ray again to check for improvement, but hopefully will put my mind at rest that she is getting better, even if she does need a bit longer break.

Fingers crossed then on Friday??

Fiona