Mare with shallow sensitive mouth, but no brakes

Flipper

Visit site
Hi

My 6 yo thoroughbred x mare has a sensitive mouth and will not take to a jointed bit with nutcracker action. She goes well schooling in a french link hanging cheek snaffle, but I have no brakes jumping in the menage or cross country.

I have tried a ported Mylar with hooks, but she seems not to like the action of the port when pressure is applied and sticks her head up.

Have tried a rubber pelham but she leans against it.

She was broken by a strong male eventer last year and I am a 7 stone girl. She is well schooled and goes beautifully until she jumps. i have tried to pull her up sharply when she runs off but to no avail!

Any suggestions????

KatB

Visit site
Dr Bristol? Shaped like a snaffle. with an edge to bring her back if need be? Need a slim line mouth piece to stop a little mouth becoming fussy!

filly190

Visit site
Is she able to open her mouth to avoid contact? Is so keeping her mouth shut increases your bit control. Also is she pulling you out the saddle, ride shorter so you have more balance and strength in your legs and seat.

If you have ever tried to ride a race horse in long stirups you have no leverage and it is near on impossible to stop them.

Flipper

Visit site
She is in a flash so can't open her mouth and she doesn't pull you out of the saddle, just sticks her head up and won't stop!

Thanks for the tip though - I will shorten a hole and see if it gives me a bit more pull until she gets used to little old me instead of her previous 6ft Dad!