Mare with "twitchy flanks" anyone?

rmasterson

Visit site
In February 2018 my mare started to be very twitchy to my leg aid. She also had a very strong season displaying previously unseen behaviour. It was the first sign of a lot of trouble ahead. I wasted a lot of time and money treating for ulcers, back trouble etc. Ultimately an ovarian scan showed an enlarged ovary and she improved dramatically after 3 weeks of daily Regumate. A follow up scan showed normal ovaries. She was scanned again in November and seeing as her ovaries were quiet, the Vet suggested a break from the meds. I felt her humour disimproved and put her back on it late December. In the last week she has become very grumpy and has started twitching her flanks at the slightest pressure or touch when saddling etc. My Vet has recommended doubling the dose. I am wondering has anyone else come across this issue before, the twitchiness? (Not sure if it's even a proper word! :))

J&S

Visit site
Yes, our new little companion mare shows signs of sensitivity in that area. When my step daughter put her rug back the other day she gave a little squeel and lifted a leg. We were most surprised, i suggested at the time she might be coming into season. The lady who we got her from did say she was very flirtatious when in season........ so we will wait and see. I have had to use Regumate before but rather hope it won't be necessary. Have to wait and see.

Cbig

New User
Visit site
Yes.I have an ID mare who as a four year old started to rub the skin off her flanks,obviously in pain. The vets recommend Regumate. This stopped the rubbing and sensitivity straightaway. She is 10 now and been on it for 6 years and each time I have stopped Regumate the rubbing starts within 24 hours. I now give her 6mm, which is half the recommended dose and she is fine with that. Tricky things ovaries!