Mares and Bonds

lisan

pets.webshots.com
Have had May nearly two years now, and have a great bond. Due to confidence issues with my jumping, decided to get a rider to BSJA her for me once a month, then I could do eveything else with her.

Had a nice girl came over to day to try her, she rode her well, popped a few, then had a couple of stops. One was on a misser, and the other because she held her too much to the fence, then when jumping the 6 fences as a course, she put a wicked stop in for NO reason whatsoever! Very very naughty. Luckily the rider did'nt fall off (very nearly did!)

So, I don't know whether May was just having an 'off' day, or is it because its a new person on her? She was also brushing some of the fences, which she does'nt normally do - only up to 95cm, nothing higher.

I gridworked and jumped her thu eve up to 95cm and she was fab, no refusals, no brushing poles, so not sure
confused.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I'm with Nat; I think it's probably a case of horse and rider getting used to each other; I doubt if new rider has exactly the same style as you, so May, being a girl and rather more sensitive than the boys, might just need to adapt a bit.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Spring rather embarassingly take the complete p*ss with anyone new
blush.gif
She pretends that she doesn't understand the aids and gets incredibley lazy, as soon as I get back on she returns to normal!
I think mares are often one person horses and you have to earn their trust and respect before they will give you their all.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
Hmm, just was'nt sure if was an off day, or because it was a new person! Hopefully she will still be happy to ride May, and we are going to try her round the 90cm clear round at a BSJA show over xmas! Otherwise, I'm just going to have to get my ass into gear and do it myself!