Mares and seasons, Maidens vs Had a foal?

Damnation

Visit site
Ok, so this isn't really a breeding question, more a question born out of curiosity.

Basically, my mare had a foal at 4 and I have noticed that when she is in season she is almost Stallion like, calling to everything, head and tail in the air, prancing about, being a general pest and showing off to anything with a pulse. First season of the year is onviously the worst (which is hapenning right now!).

My last mare was a maiden, she got a bit snappy to other horses when she was in season but none of the grand displays that my current little gem is producing.

Now don't get me wrong I think current mare's behaviour is quite funny, the old floozie! But it got me thinking, on the whole are mares "worse" in season when they have had a foal? Almost like they know what they are missing out on?

The broodmares I worked with were incredibly flirty in season, but the kids ponies and maiden horses you could barely tell when they were in season...

Just random musings really, discuss!! :D

MargotC

Visit site
My old dressage broodmare that I loaned (she must have been around 18 or 19 at the time) was a complete tart when in season. You could barely get her past the resident stallion who paled in comparison but then he was a true gentleman and incredibly well handled. I had the pleasure of riding her out with her maiden daughter at 3 and 4 and she gave us no trouble. We had hoped for another foal that last year I rode her but she unfortunately had an empty scan and the tarty behaviour returned in force.

My other loan mare had had one foal a couple of years previously but never acted similarly to the first. Her seasons were never all that obvious.

My own mare was a maiden and also never gave much trouble when in season. We had no stallions around then.

Damnation

Visit site
My old dressage broodmare that I loaned (she must have been around 18 or 19 at the time) was a complete tart when in season. You could barely get her past the resident stallion who paled in comparison but then he was a true gentleman and incredibly well handled. I had the pleasure of riding her out with her maiden daughter at 3 and 4 and she gave us no trouble. We had hoped for another foal that last year I rode her but she unfortunately had an empty scan and the tarty behaviour returned in force.

My other loan mare had had one foal a couple of years previously but never acted similarly to the first. Her seasons were never all that obvious.

My own mare was a maiden and also never gave much trouble when in season. We had no stallions around then.

Thank you for that! :D

There are no Stallions or Colts on my yard, or even youngstock.. she is currently calling to her Lesbian Lover over the hedge....

Anything with a pulse.

HashRouge

Visit site
My mare had one foal at 3 and another at 4...she used to be an absolute nightmare when she was in season, proper trollop! She's better now she's older though (23), I wonder if she's finally had the horse version of the menopause :p

Damnation

Visit site
My mare had one foal at 3 and another at 4...she used to be an absolute nightmare when she was in season, proper trollop! She's better now she's older though (23), I wonder if she's finally had the horse version of the menopause :p

Pfft I swear mine is getting worse with age :) :D

lindsay1993

Visit site
Mine is an ultimate tart! She had her 1st & only foal 7 years ago and is horrible when in season.
Squirting at anything that breathes, squealing and showing herself off to any horse within a 10 mile radius!! She had her first season of the year about 8 weeks ago!!! I was surprised at how early it was. She was almost out of control the whole time. Damn mares ;-)

Lgd

Visit site
Mine never really showed in season either before or after her foals. Only really knew she was in by riding her as she was much sharper off the leg, must have been one of the few mare owners who liked competing their mare in season.

Her maiden duaghter had loads of issues with ovarian cysts and retained follicles and turned into the tart from hell. She's fabulous now post ovariectomy and back to her sweet little self.

Auslander

Visit site
Maiden mare here - who is the most outrageous trollop that I have ever come across, in 25 years of working with horses (including stud work!). She was so OTT that we had her ovaries scanned in December, as she was mounting another mare (when she wasn't falling though post and rail fences because she was leaning on them so hard, trying to get my gelding to ravish her!). She's very very keen to make babies!

She has also squirted on me because I touched her while putting her tail through her fillet string!

HashRouge

Visit site
Pfft I swear mine is getting worse with age :) :D

I'm glad mine's not, she was a horror when she was younger! I remember being too mortified to take her out in public with company when she was in season, we'd get stuck in the middle of the road, squirting for England, with cars beeping their horns all round us :p

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
They're all different. I have two stallions on the yard and the young mares ignore them - if they're not in season. The old mares cycle pretty much together (like girls in boarding school) and if you happen to hack a stallion up the drive when they are all in season - hell - it's taking your life into your hands with the young stallion. My old boy would hack past mares in season and TELL you they were - with a tap, tap, tap on the bottom of your boot!

Damnation

Visit site
Mine is an ultimate tart! She had her 1st & only foal 7 years ago and is horrible when in season.
Squirting at anything that breathes, squealing and showing herself off to any horse within a 10 mile radius!! She had her first season of the year about 8 weeks ago!!! I was surprised at how early it was. She was almost out of control the whole time. Damn mares ;-)

Mine had her one and only foal at 4, 11 years ago! This is the worst she has ever been. She's always incredibly mannerly on the ground so for me to be *Barely* in control is incredibly out of character!

Mine never really showed in season either before or after her foals. Only really knew she was in by riding her as she was much sharper off the leg, must have been one of the few mare owners who liked competing their mare in season.

Her maiden duaghter had loads of issues with ovarian cysts and retained follicles and turned into the tart from hell. She's fabulous now post ovariectomy and back to her sweet little self.

Glad you got your little mare sorted, it must be like Polycystic Ovaries in women and I believe that can be hell!

Maiden mare here - who is the most outrageous trollop that I have ever come across, in 25 years of working with horses (including stud work!). She was so OTT that we had her ovaries scanned in December, as she was mounting another mare (when she wasn't falling though post and rail fences because she was leaning on them so hard, trying to get my gelding to ravish her!). She's very very keen to make babies!

She has also squirted on me because I touched her while putting her tail through her fillet string!

GOOD LORD! That is funny but disgusting at the same time! We once had a mare at stud we were "teasing" to see if she was in season (Using a gelding) and not only did she squirt everywhere, she projectile pooed on everyone within a 10 foot radius... That was me. The grass had just come through so think bring green, stinky runny projectile poo.

She was in season.

I'm glad mine's not, she was a horror when she was younger! I remember being too mortified to take her out in public with company when she was in season, we'd get stuck in the middle of the road, squirting for England, with cars beeping their horns all round us :p

Mine is embarrassing me and annoying the YO, I pride my girly on being well mannered but now, all she wants is everyone to bonk her! She is so unashamed!

They're all different. I have two stallions on the yard and the young mares ignore them - if they're not in season. The old mares cycle pretty much together (like girls in boarding school) and if you happen to hack a stallion up the drive when they are all in season - hell - it's taking your life into your hands with the young stallion. My old boy would hack past mares in season and TELL you they were - with a tap, tap, tap on the bottom of your boot!

LOL! I used to ride the stallion out.. if he hacked past the mares he would start piaffing in the middle of the road, he was never out of control a bit of an "oi" and he'd be on his way but men looked in shock, women looked in horror at the member he produced!

Auslander

Visit site
LOL! I used to ride the stallion out.. if he hacked past the mares he would start piaffing in the middle of the road, he was never out of control a bit of an "oi" and he'd be on his way but men looked in shock, women looked in horror at the member he produced!

My gelding does this! He's not a rig, but he certainly acts as if he is!

I used to ride a very well known stallion (no names, to protect his reputation), who had a passion for the cattle that grazed on a local common. Hacking out 17hh of overexcited stallion with the objects of his affection milling around loose was interesting...

Equi

Visit site
Think it depends on them. My two mares are both broods but older one is not overly showy (in fact some times I'm worried she's not in at all but is being submissive)

The other one squats and stands if she hears a whinny in the breeze and your damned if you will move her til she's had something up her hoohaa.

Damnation

Visit site
My gelding does this! He's not a rig, but he certainly acts as if he is!

I used to ride a very well known stallion (no names, to protect his reputation), who had a passion for the cattle that grazed on a local common. Hacking out 17hh of overexcited stallion with the objects of his affection milling around loose was interesting...

The cows? Did he know they were NOT equine shaped or was he just randy? :D

Think it depends on them. My two mares are both broods but older one is not overly showy (in fact some times I'm worried she's not in at all but is being submissive)

The other one squats and stands if she hears a whinny in the breeze and your damned if you will move her til she's had something up her hoohaa.

Good lord I am glad Buffy isn't *that* bad, hoping she will be a bit easier to manage today, she *Should* be starting to come out of season now and she was a bit calmer last night.

I am going to get her scanned if this continues, she has always been kept in a mixed herd and never this tarty! If its just the first season of the year then not so worried!

Equi

Visit site
Well my slutty one is thankfully pregnant so now all she does is squeal and tease the stallion lol gets him all hyped up then walks away leaving him to finish himself
Off.

Auslander

Visit site
The cows? Did he know they were NOT equine shaped or was he just randy? :D

Yep - he wasn't fussy about the species - they just looked like they were the right size. He was the equine Oliver Reed - quite a handful when there were ladies present (equine OR bovine!)

Damnation

Visit site
Well, horse has been running up and down the fence looking for a bonk with such determination that she has now made herself lame!

I suspect just a bruised sole or pulled a muscle but still, ANGRY FACE!!!! YO Is checking today.

Next time I am buying a nice quiet elderly cob gelding!!!

Tetrarch 1911

Visit site
Well, this is the time of year that my 24-year-old hunter pony stallion poses regally on the little mound in his field, mane rippling in the breeze and eyeing up the sheep in the field over the road while flashing his wedding tackle at anything that moves, and that includes chickens. SO embarrassing ...

Auslander

Visit site
Well, this is the time of year that my 24-year-old hunter pony stallion poses regally on the little mound in his field, mane rippling in the breeze and eyeing up the sheep in the field over the road while flashing his wedding tackle at anything that moves, and that includes chickens. SO embarrassing ...

My 19 year old gelding (who has been a gelding for 15 years) has been leaping around, making very stalliony noises and waving his tackle at the mare I mentioned above. I have told him over and over again - but he's convinced that he still has what it takes to make the girls happy...