Mares changing colours...

_jetset_

Visit site
I was looking at Hannah this morning, and my dark bay has now got really pale dapples all over her flanks, stomach amd starting on her neck. She is a totally different colour to last year...

Can hormones make a pregnant mare alter the colour of the coat? It just seems strange that she has changed so much this year when she has been put in foal. I am just interested as I find things like this fascinating!

Rebecca

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
PF changes colour every year (but that's probably not what you mean) she's much darker in winter and goes lighter in summer... if I think about it, I think she might be lighter than she was in the UK, but I think it's probably got more to do with the amount of sun (and fading) than anything else...

Neddies

Visit site
My friend has a black mare, over the past month or so her coat has really lightened and she now looks more dar bay. I think it's just the sun bleaching her coat.

_jetset_

Visit site
I wondered whether it was because we have had loads of sun, but when I think about it she started changing colour almost as soon as her summer coat was coming through.

It's so strange because I have seen her this light. You can see from my avatar how dark she usually is.

This is from this time 2005:
HannahatChurchFarm011.jpg

And this is from June 2006:
HannahJune06007.jpg

Actually. now I look she doesn't look hugely different, LOL
blush.gif

paintsplat05

Visit site
my friend has an almost black mare but she's turning chocolaty-coloured on her back,neck and down her face. I think it's where she's getting more sun but i'm not that sure
blush.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I'm always rather surprised at how PF's colour changes. This is her in her new winter coat
smile.gif

Premio3.jpg

and in her summer coat

PF12Novperfil2.jpg

We've got a piebald at the yard who's a skewbald at the moment (still very sunny). I've also heard that something in the soil and 'bleach' horses (and you can get a feed supplement to counter it) but I don't remember what it is.

S_N

Visit site
My old cob used to do this - as he was a gelding I can't see how it's hormone related.....

One summer he'd be Light bay, the next summer a bright RED bay
ooo.gif
He's seems to have decided that her prefers the RED
grin.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Han is almost a dunn on her flanks... what was dappled is now more or less all dunn sort of colour. Going to try to take a picture today of her!

_jetset_

Visit site
Yeah could be... going to see what her winter coat is like. I just find it really interesting how hormones can change so many things, like make my ditzy and neurotic mare into a little lamb!

briardy

Visit site
how old is your mare ? was either her sire or her dame grey ? if so she could be showing early signs of greying ?!.....look to see if there are any white hairs around her eyes or muzzle?it would have to be a direct link so if neither her sire or dame are grey or greying she can t be?!