Mares Shape Post Foaling

maddielove

Visit site
Do some mares never return to their normal shape after haing a foal?
My mare had one foal 4 years ago now and she's never developed a toned belly since!! Is this to be expected with some mares? or is it just to do with the correct work?
I don't think it helps now that she's had colic surgery its all a bit "loose" down there and would like to get her looking a normal shape for once -if it's possible.
Thanks, Emma x

Abbeygale

Visit site
My mare has had two foals - but she had never been worked, or got any where near being remotely fit. She does have a definite "in foal" look - but I have been working hard with her and she has now recently started schooling for the first time ever - and the difference is amazing.

Up until a few weeks ago she was not looking as though she was in foal for the first time ever!! She also had stopped wobbling when she ran anywhere!!!
smile.gif
Bless her!!

Unfortunately with the grass really coming through she has put a little weight on again - but I am just trying to work her as much as I can, including loads of hill work and schooling sessions to keep her mummy bumps under control!!
smile.gif

CrazyMare

Visit site
Mine was fit, muscled and toned until 6 months thru pregnancy, then she had 6ish months off (352 day pregnancy) then came back into work when foalie was 3 months.

Mine looks like shes never had a foal until you look at her teats. Shes 17 now too and foaled last year.

I think it depends on how fit and toned they were before hand and then what they do afterwards. Mine also works on the Pessoa on the long & low setting once or twice a week.